Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble amending someone elses code.

Options
  • 25-02-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Good morning,
    I'm not a developer but I'm leaning in that direction after 12 years in the sys admin world.

I'm working on an application that a colleague wrote that requests data over HTTPS. The requesting application sends the lookup in a query string, the receiving side is made up of two parts. A proxy and a WCF service.

I've been tasked with hashing the data for security purposes.

I have the hashing working in a stand alone aspx page and now I'm trying to incorporate what I've written into the main application.

I've added the signature into the interface, I've added the methods into the class and I've added the call to the signature in that interface so it should work. However, I cant find where the main get data function is called. I'm missing something and it's simply because I don't know enough about .net to figure it out.

Here's the problem: The person that wrote this code is currently off and I'm under huge pressure to get this working. I will personally pay for someone if they have time today to meet me in the city center to look at this. Of course, it's not definit that you will be able to figure this out either so payment is not conditional on that. However, I would ask that you work with c# and .net at least most of the time.

I'm near Baggot street in Dublin so around that area would be great.

I cant post the code here either unfortunately.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Surely you can show us the important classes/methods, which you can rename to protect sensitive information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Here's the problem: The person that wrote this code is currently off and I'm under huge pressure to get this working. I will personally pay for someone if they have time today to meet me in the city center to look at this. Of course, it's not definit that you will be able to figure this out either so payment is not conditional on that. However, I would ask that you work with c# and .net at least most of the time.
    Either this is your venture/company or you should be reimbursed for any such payments, because this is clearly a resource management issue which is frankly not your responsibility and you should not be paying out your own money to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

Either this is your venture/company or you should be reimbursed for any such payments, because this is clearly a resource management issue which is frankly not your responsibility and you should not be paying out your own money to fix it.

I completely agree but I don't care about being out of pocket once the customer gets what they need. It's a win win for me. I get this task completed and I learn something along the way as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I completely agree but I don't care about being out of pocket once the customer gets what they need. It's a win win for me. I get this task completed and I learn something along the way as well.
    In that case I can offer you a job and it won't cost you that much...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you are using VS then use the find to start searching the entire solution for any keywords related to the data you are trying to get. Usually you will find a method that makes sense where it is returning the data you're looking for.

Actually, if I understand you, your colleague has already written the WCF service that gets the data- you're providing hashing in calling it? If so then you need to locate which .SVC file is being referenced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement