Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an item from an EU country - Protected under Irish laws?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

your contract is in the country of supply of the goods - in this case Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

delahuntv wrote: »
    your contract is in the country of supply of the goods - in this case Italy.

Thank you for the reply.

The citizensinformation website says:
    If you purchase goods or services from another EU Member State and they were advertised in your country, you are protected under consumer law of your home country.

Can anyone tell me in which case this applies and why this doesn't work for ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Another question - was this a private sale between two individuals? Or does the seller operate as a trader?

dudara wrote: »
    Another question - was this a private sale between two individuals? Or does the seller operate as a trader?

His ebay profile says that he is registered as a business seller.

Mario95 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

The citizensinformation website says:
    If you purchase goods or services from another EU Member State and they were advertised in your country, you are protected under consumer law of your home country.

Can anyone tell me in which case this applies and why this doesn't work for ebay.

You would have to show they were advertised here - I don't think an ebay listing would classify as advertising to a specific market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

delahuntv wrote: »
    You would have to show they were advertised here - I don't think an ebay listing would classify as advertising to a specific market.
    It appears the ECJ has previously ruled that it is not necessary for the seller to aim an advertisement at a particular market in order for a consumer to take a case.
    http://www.mondaq.com/x/276052/Consumer+Law/Court+of+Justice+of+European+Union+Rules+on+Jurisdiction+for+Disputes+Relating+to+Crossborder+Consumer+Contracts

OP, if you can't agree with the seller you may go through the European Small Claims Court procedure and you may win an enforcement order. The ruling will be enforced by the other state in accordance with their law.

The court will cost you €25 which you can't claim back. An Post will ship a package to Italy by Express Post International for much less than that. Is it worth the hassle?

why not return it without the battery and for the seller to send replacement without the battery.

This then would allow you send it back by normal post at a cost of about €3.60 (large envelope rate)

Make sure you show that there is no battery to the psot office clerk so that it can be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you buy anything from another EU country you are covered by the Consumer Rights Directive. See more information here. http://www.consumerhelp.ie/your-rights-online

Although this isn't easily enforced using sites like eBay and Etsy.

Thanks for all these replies! It does help a lot knowing what I am dealing with.

Update:
    After giving him a negative feedback saying "DO NOT BUY SCAMMER! Sent damaged phone and wants me to pay for return BAD SELLER" (by ebay rules this is an acceptable feedback), he sent me a message which is basically blackmail "we are sorry but we saw your feedback and we can not help you until the feedback will be not delete.".

Later he offered me 20 euro partial refund (less than half of what I suggested before), threatening me that if I don't accept it and remove my negative feedback, he will take legal actions against me. "This is our last offer. After this our legal team will start a report again your public feedback on ebay.".

I am afraid that if I don't accept his offer, he will sue me, and I will have to spend a lot on legal expenses.
    Can he do that? What do you do in my place?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its very likely he is his "legal team", as well as CEO, CTO, CFO and bottle washer - most of the incompetent ebay sellers are single person operations.

Open a dispute with Paypal for defective goods, they're unlikely to accept any refusal to refund postage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement