Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

harnessing power from grid

• 24-02-2015 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

anybody know of any information to "tap" into the grid and run things....
    websites or other general information etc....
    seems like most of the power just goes off into space anyway...hence high prices...
    i need to power a house...small time stuff...

Please...no obvious questions or irony..

this is about information with a dash of anarchy..

Research of course...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I used to live in a house that had a huge extension which was another house really with sitting room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. We had prepay power and we figured out pretty quickly the first time we ran out of credit that the new part of the house was connected in an illegal way to the grid. Que the next year of €20-€30 per month for the lights and cooker and extension leads running to every other room in the house for tvs ect! Huge 5 bed house, cost us feck all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

aaakev wrote: »
    I used to live in a house that had a huge extension which was another house really with sitting room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. We had prepay power and we figured out pretty quickly the first time we ran out of credit that the new part of the house was connected in an illegal way to the grid. Que the next year of €20-€30 per month for the lights and cooker and extension leads running to every other room in the house for tvs ect! Huge 5 bed house, cost us feck all!

Interesting...this house is a standalone...nearest house...not a possibility...

Why not invest in solar or wind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

There's a very easy way to "tap into" the grid. Oh, and wouldn't you know it, there's a website for it too.
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/new_domestic_online_connection.jsp

If your are suggesting or looking for ways of drawing electricity from the grid or another property via illicit means then I will warn you that it is extremely dangerous and consequently ESB Networks are quite ruthless in prosecuting those who engage in it.

I see you have a sound understanding of the principles of electricity generation, transmission and distribution in that half of it goes into space!

There's a very easy way to "tap into" the grid. Oh, and wouldn't you know it, there's a website for it too.
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/new_domestic_online_connection.jsp

If your are suggesting or looking for ways of drawing electricity from the grid or another property via illicit means then I will warn you that it is extremely dangerous and consequently ESB Networks are quite ruthless in prosecuting those who engage in it.

So are you 28 or 31? Very curious.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

thread closed.....thank you for your views...

bigtomm wrote: »
    thread closed.....thank you for your views...

Was it something I said?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

aaakev wrote: »
    So are you 28 or 31? Very curious.....

Relevance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

This does be interesting: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=9291

Or this for a cool pic of a self-lighting bulb: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/3520/is-it-possible-to-obtain-current-indirectly-from-power-lines

You can also sap power from a nearby radio transmitter if you want, but not a lot. The amount of power you can get through induction depends on the current going through it

• Advertisement
Advertisement