Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish

Options
  • 24-02-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

What courses do you need Irish for because I'm looking and it says I need a pass in certain amount of ordinary subjects and a certain amount of honours and then it says Maths C3 in ordinary is compulsary and then it says English or Irish is compulsory too. So do you not need Irish?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jordan5497 wrote: »
    What courses do you need Irish for because I'm looking and it says I need a pass in certain amount of ordinary subjects and a certain amount of honours and then it says Maths C3 in ordinary is compulsary and then it says English or Irish is compulsory too. So do you not need Irish?
    It depends what college you're talking about; for example Trinity will accept English or Irish; the NUI colleges (UCD, UCC, Maynooth, NUIG) require you to have at least a pass in Irish, most of the IoTs don't normally specify Irish ... basically, it isn't a "one size fits all" situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

What courses/general direction are you looking at? For example, primary school teaching will require a minimum of a C3 in honours Irish, and, like randy said, all the NUI colleges look for a pass in Irish, even if you're doing something completely irrelevant, like engineering. Unless you're really and truly struggling with Irish and you're eligible to have an exception from Irish in school (because of dyslexia or coming to Ireland mid-childhood), I'd advise you to keep on Irish, even just at ordinary level, to play it safe.

Advertisement