Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage and children - Non-Eu and Eu-citizen

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

This is yet another thread about visa and marriage, but I ask your help because doubts are a bit different from what I found in other discussions.

I'm Brazilian and my fiancee is a EU-citizen (not Irish). She lives and work in Ireland for more than 2 years and I've been here for one year, as a student. We've been together for almost one year now and have plans to have a child from July on. For various reasons, we want to get married before that. I certainly want to provide for them, meaning be able to work and help financially.

We consider moving out Ireland if things don't work out for us, but since she's got a great job here, we'd rather try hard to stay (her own country is not considered for now though).

Therefore, we've been having problems to figure out these questions:

- she's not Irish, but as a EU-citizen, will I be able to get a spouse visa eventually? (or other that allows me to work full-time)

- we thought of getting married in her country, not in Ireland. For the matters of visa, would make more sense to get at least the civil one here or it would be same bureaucracy?

- to which legal department we should go to get those information?

- I just got my visa renewed so I have another year ahead. But do you think is there any chance to get this documents and changes still this year?

Thank you all very much in advance for any advice. It ended up being quite a big thread but getting these information in the official websites is a hard task... We appreciate any help.

Regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I think I'd make an appointment with the General Registrars Office https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/General-Register-Office.aspx in your county and see what documentation they require.

Also ring the Immigrant Council Ireland for free advice. (01) 674 0200. Very helpful staff.

I've photographed quite a few weddings here where both partners were not Irish, but a least one was an EU citizen.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lf_rhey

Hi Almorris

Thank you for your reply! This is indeed quite challenging but certainly bureaucracy will not stop us from getting there.

I will have a look at the website you sent and call the number!

Advertisement