Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kelly's pub

Options
  • 24-02-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭

Is this a new pub in galway?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It's being tarted up downstairs. Upstairs is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Lapin wrote: »
    It's being tarted up downstairs. Upstairs is still open

What do you mean tarted? Anyone how the owners are?
    They are all over Facebook looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Kelly's has been there for ages it's not new, they are just refitting downstairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

cena wrote: »
    What do you mean tarted?

Tarted up like.

Done up. Refurbished. Revamped. Out with the old.......

It used to be The Living Room, and before that, The Lisheen.

But that's way back when the place was good.

I don't know who has it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's owned by the same crowd who own the Cellar. I've heard The downstairs is getting an overhaul as they don't like the layout.

• Advertisement

It's owned by the same crowd who own the Cellar. I've heard The downstairs is getting an overhaul as they don't like the layout.

Where did you hear that they are the same owners as the cellar.
    If true I won't be going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

I hope someone tells them of this development. No point in doing the place up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why won't you be going in?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why won't you be going in?

I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It was in one of the papers over the past few weeks, in relation to refusal of planning permission for the proposed new front of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The work involved jack-hammers the other day, more than just a face-lift or tarting up, I'd say. And I'd agree, the downstairs layout sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

The Cellar is owned by Michael Gilmore from Salthill apparently. He only took ownership of it last year. Was it Grealish who owned it before them? If so, Kelly's are related to Grelaish's. But the Grealish's (of The Kinds Head) weren't affected by the receivership which affected Kelly... I don't know what I'm on about... google helped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

John Breslin (Of Boards.ie) tweeted this:
    Tweet

and this

Tweet

Sniipe wrote: »
    The Cellar is owned by Michael Gilmore from Salthill apparently. He only took ownership of it last year. Was it Grealish who owned it before them? If so, Kelly's are related to Grelaish's. But the Grealish's (of The Kinds Head) weren't affected by the receivership which affected Kelly... I don't know what I'm on about... google helped

I'll reserve my judgement on the two boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

#BringbacktheLisheen.... Used to love that place, never liked it's successors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Mill Race wasn't too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Treadhead wrote: »
    #BringbacktheLisheen.... Used to love that place, never liked it's successors...

Agreed completely

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Treadhead wrote: »
    A quality fry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Living room was the business!! Dont remember lisheen though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Must get me a pair of those rose tinted glasses, sometime down the line I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I was never in the Lisheen, but remember the front wall being held up by massive steel RSjs when it was being remodelled into the the Living Room
    [edit] I was trying to think of its name pre "Living Room" for ages recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Living Room was nice but upstairs was terrible to move around when it was busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Lapin wrote: »
    Tarted up like.

Done up. Refurbished. Revamped. Out with the old.......

It used to be The Living Room, and before that, The Lisheen.

But that's way back when the place was good.

I don't know who has it now.

I loved the Lisheen! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kelly's is a blackhole of atmosphere and a terrible place to watch sport too IMO. Staff are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kelly's is a blackhole of atmosphere and a terrible place to watch sport too IMO. Staff are lovely though.

Their only saving grace for me was their food, which in recent times had been much improved, and they had good deals. Other than that the place was woeful, music was always blaring, to the point of not being able to have a conversation in there and it had an odd mix of a crowd too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement