Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Economics

Options
  • 23-02-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I'm doing Economics by myself at home and I have read in several places that it's important to learn current statistics such as the unemployment rate, inflation rates etc in order to get full marks in some of the macro questions. Would anyone happen to have a list of the specific statistics that students should know before going into the exam? I'm in 5th year so obviously it's too early to be learning actual figures as they will have likely changed by the time I sit the exam, I just want the types of things that I should be looking up nearer the time. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

emersyn wrote: »
    I'm doing Economics by myself at home and I have read in several places that it's important to learn current statistics such as the unemployment rate, inflation rates etc in order to get full marks in some of the macro questions. Would anyone happen to have a list of the specific statistics that students should know before going into the exam? I'm in 5th year so obviously it's too early to be learning actual figures as they will have likely changed by the time I sit the exam, I just want the types of things that I should be looking up nearer the time. Thank you

http://www.cso.ie/en/index.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

emersyn wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to have a list of the specific statistics that students should know before going into the exam?
    I doubt if a master list of specific stats exists tbh, but take a look at the exam papers for the last few years and think about what stats / figures would have been useful to answer the questions.

I would suggest that at least ...
    - unemployed both as a rounded number and as a percentage, and major trends therein in last few years
    - national debt
    - some rough sense of proportions employed in different sectors e.g. agriculture; tourism; industry; construction; etc.
    - GDP / GNP
    ... would be basic, but there are probably others which would never occur to a non-economist like myself! :)

Advertisement