Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is doing all three science subjects for your leaving cert boring?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am just looking for opinions on this matter. I have a subject choice form to hand in on Friday and I have had intentions to do French, Biology, Chemistry, Physics for a while now. But some the majority of people have advised me against it saying that it will get boring or be too intensive.

A question to anybody that does or did 3 science subjects for their leaving cert: Was it boring? Did 2 years of roughly half your leaving cert being science become a drag?

Should I do a different subject like Music or should I stick with my original intentions?

3 sciences seems like a great idea to me right now...but will it be in reality?

Thanks for reading. I'd greatly appreciate hearing your view on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

There's no fixed way to measure boring. If you love science and are interested in all three areas, you will most likely enjoy taking the three of them. However unless you're extremely passionate about science there's really no need to study all three of them (two is more than enough in terms of university courses, and there's very few courses that require a specific science subject) and I would recommend taking another subject in a humanities area that you're interested in, for the sake of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Southwestgirl

I did Biology and Ag science and there's a huge overlap. Wasn't boring at all in fact it was relaxing because of the huge overlap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

I did three sciences myself biology chemistry and construction.

Not many people count construction as a science due to snobbery but it really is the science of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Inhalerguy

A friend of mine is planning on doing that (he's in Transition Year) and he has no doubt in his mind that that is what he wants to do!

Only you can really answer that question, if you aren't too keen on science subjects then doing 3 wouldn't be very bright.
    If you are unsure then try it for a while and if necessary swap your least favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

for me I would find 3 sciences torture
    for others, it would be very interesting and a great challenge.
    I would also suggest music for a bit of variety. 3 sciences will require constant learning, experiments....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Im in ty an doing it ! Noone i talk to has anything positive to say about me doing it but they wont be sitting my leaving cert, science fulled days in school seems exciting to me! But i have to say im scared for the maths in physics !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you love science, then of course it won't be boring.

If you were in the UK doing A-levels (where people typically do only three subjects) and were interested in doing science in university, you would typically take two sciences for A-level, and therefore be spending two-thirds of your time at science. Indeed, there'd be nothing stopping you taking three and doing nothing else. (They usually count Maths as a science subject there, and most people heading for science would do it.) I doubt very much that all these people are bored to tears, as they are learning what they love.

If you do English, Irish maths, French and three sciences, then I'm pretty sure that there is virtually no course on the CAO system that you will be ruled out of.

Only you can say whether you would prefer more variety in your studies than this. You mention music, and if you love music, this would certainly give you something very different from the other subjects to give variety to your study time. If you've studied a musical instrument privately since childhood, as many people have, then it's likely you'd do very well in the LC exam in it.

If you are very interested in physics, and good at maths, you could consider taking on Applied Maths as an extra subject. It's a very valuable subject to have studied if you end up going for the physical sciences or engineering afterwards.

Bottom line: do what you love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

See if accounting appeals to you. I know a few doing physics, chemistry and accounting and they find it a welcome break from the science while still being logical. If you like numbers and problem solving then it's the perfect non-science option.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I do those exact subjects right now (in 5th year) and I was actually really considering doing music instead of physics but decided not to in the end because I thought I'd mess up the practical due to nerves (like in my JC!)
    I really don't find it boring at all (well some bits can be boring haha, but in general) but I love science so that's just me. But in terms of variety there's loads, the 3 sciences are so different and require different thinking for each of them, plus you've got 4 other different subjects to break them up. Sometimes I get bored of say double physics and then maths in the same day because they can be similar, but apart from that, not at all. In terms of workload I honestly believe it's a lot less than if I was doing 3 rote learning type subjects like geography, business, history, etc. cos there's so much more understanding (in chemistry and physics mainly) than learning off. I don't really get why most people are shocked when I tell them my subject choices and think it sounds like the hardest thing ever cos really, if you like science and you're good at it then it's not!
    I'd say definitely go for it if you really love science, but if you're not too pushed just choose 2 sciences it won't affect you course choices wise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I do Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and to be deadly honest they're three completely different subjects. Sure, you have a slight overlap here and there but it's not as if you're just learning the same stuff. It's no different really than studying French, English and Irish. All three are languages but completely different.

If you like science go for it. You'll enjoy them more and you'll find them easier to study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

@Conaaaa "But i have to say im scared of the maths in physics!"

Don't be! There's no chalkboard-long equations or anything, just a lot of problem solving and knowing the relationships between the formulae.

And physics is mostly theory, anyway.

Advertisement