Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial Career

Options
  • 23-02-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I'm in Transition Year and I've recently been considering a career as an actuary. I was wondering what subjects (if any) would be advised for the Leaving Cert. Also I wanted to know what proportion of the courses are maths-related & how much is business-related. Thanks

(Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place. Didn't know what to put this under!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

100% maths. You'll get up to speed with the computer programming in college but for now just look after your maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Accounting or Economics is no harm to have a basic knowledge of. You'll be studying them to some extent in CT2 and CT7 (or their college module equivalent).

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

You'll want to be aiming for a b2 and up on higher level maths, and a c3 higher level English. Nothing else from the LC would be used directly.

While the majority of the college course (i went to DCU) is based on maths the institute exams you sit (assuming you get most of the exemptions in college) will have very little maths. The career itself while number based isn't heavy on maths, bit of basic stats is about it.

Advertisement