Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarm question

Options
  • 23-02-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of organising the installation of a fire alarm in my workplace.

The question I have is in relation to commissioning of the system.

Is a Verification Certificate necessary or is it optional under IS 3218:2013?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Under the Building Control technical regulations, Part B it is specified what type of alarm and detection for a new build or alterations.

Are you upgrading an existing alarm or adding to a renovation project?
    I would have thought that at the very least under the fire services act, that the system would need to be tested and certified to cover the owners backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You might get a better response in the electrical forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brennan1988

Under IS3218: 2013, the Designer of the System must certify the design, the Installer of the System must certify the installation, and then also certify it at commissioning stage. There is also a certificate for handover that should also be completed. Templates of these certificate are in Appendix C of IS3218: 2013. I would recommend that you get a copy of it, it is all very straight forward once you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Under IS3218: 2013, the Designer of the System must certify the design, the Installer of the System must certify the installation, and then also certify it at commissioning stage. There is also a certificate for handover that should also be completed. Templates of these certificate are in Appendix C of IS3218: 2013. I would recommend that you get a copy of it, it is all very straight forward once you read it.

Hi. Thanks for that. I'm being cheap, I didn't fancy spending €48 buying the regs. There is another step, Independent Verification. It was optional under IS3218:2009. I'm wondering is it still optional under IS3218:2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brennan1988

Yea that's still an option, certificate template in Appendix C7 of IS3218: 2013..

• Advertisement
Advertisement