Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood turning guild chapter meetings...

Options
  • 23-02-2015 12:10pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of the nice things about getting into turning has been the people involved. There's a really great community from what I have seen. I have been given wood, tools, advice, feedback etc from lots of fellow turners, all just happy to see someone new take up the craft.

The Irish Woodturners Guild is a good place to start. I've been to a few different chapter meetings and they are uniformly great!

My own chapter is the East Central chapter and every second Saturday they run a demonstration where an expert shows how to make a certain piece, there's overhead cameras and tv screens to see the detail of the work, microphones so you can hear the speaker everywhere and tea and bickies! What more could you want!!

There's a competition every month if you feel like competing (the standard of some of the pieces is quite high but its very n00b-friendly too :) )

You don't need to be a member to attend and watch, so if you want to see someone turn something live and talk to turners about the craft, I couldn't recommend it more highly.

The irish woodturners guild has a list of chapters and they are all over the country.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DeVore wrote: »
    My own chapter is the East Central chapter
    aha; that's the one that would be nearest us...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You should stick your head in some second-Saturday and have a look, next month is a bring and buy sale too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cool, we only just got the lathe set up on sunday night and i had to fly out first thing monday morning so i've not had a chance to play properly with my new toy...
    any women in the chapter? might make it a bit more welcoming for my wife...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

One of the chapter organisers is female yes, and very friendly... though to be fair, most of the rest of us are male (still friendly though) :)

so next saturday? what time?

• Advertisement

2pm for a 2.30 start usually... but there is a bring and buy sale this coming Saturday so I would expect it will start on time.

i'll probably be bringing firewood.

That's the place!

went along yesterday - nice bunch of people, and managed to pick up some supplies for very reasonable rates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Dev,

I take it some of the chapters are not as active as say East Central.

The North West link was a 404 error and Galway has the 2013 meeting details and the 2013 newsletter.

Any idea if they're still making sawdust?

Cheers ;)

Jaysis I'm afraid I couldn't tell you but I would guess that they probably are , but their website has been abandoned perhaps over time. I know that at the nationals there were guilds from just about every county I could name (6 at least! :) ).

I would try John Glynn who is down as the Galway contact: jpglynn AT eircom.net ... if he's not involved he will probably know who is or what their meeting schedule is.

Or you could start a thread here asking in the thread title... I'm sure that would be fine!

North West must have had gremlins in the intertubes as its up now: http://www.iwgnortheast.com/ and its right up to date...

Advertisement