Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect Revenue Income Assessment

Options
  • 23-02-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Revenue got in touch with me letting me know that they've reassessed my income for 2013.

I was self employed for only the last month of that year and earned only €1225. However, they're saying that I earned €16,359, which is completely incorrect.

From January to June of that year I was working as a PAYE worker and was paying tax already. Do you think it's possible they've mixed up my two incomes?

I've sent them a reply letting them know that there is a mistake. Any advice on what steps to take next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A P21 for a tax year, or a Notice of Assessment, will include all income earned that year.

I have seen Notices of Assessment where the person has PAYE income and slef-employment income.

All incomes are listed on the Notice of Assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 flanagain

Geuze wrote: »
    A P21 for a tax year, or a Notice of Assessment, will include all income earned that year.

I have seen Notices of Assessment where the person has PAYE income and slef-employment income.

All incomes are listed on the Notice of Assessment.

Okay, but surely I would have already paid that tax through PAYE?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The PAYE previously paid will be available as a refundable tax credit in your income tax calculation.

GSBellew wrote: »
    The PAYE previously paid will be available as a refundable tax credit in your income tax calculation.

I have a tax credit of €1650 listed here but I can't see why I'm getting taxed an additional €1179 for doing one month's work in December of that year? They're specifying that I owe an additional €600 in USC charges.

I know everything gets balanced as a whole amount for the year but this doesn't add up.

Okay I'm looking at my P45 from that year now. It says I ceased employment with my former employer on the 30/4 and earned €7333 gross up to that point. I had no other employment after that so I have no idea where the rest of their assessment is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭roast222

Just to clarify, you recieved Paye income of €7333, self employed of €1225 and no other income during the year (including welfare) ? If so you could be due a refund of the tax that you were deducted in your Paye job, if any.

roast222 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you recieved Paye income of €7333, self employed of €1225 and no other income during the year (including welfare) ? If so you could be due a refund of the tax that you were deducted in your Paye job, if any.

Thanks, that's what I assumed. I'm honestly very confused because the 15k figure was very random. I've sent a separate correspondence to Fingal PAYE to ask them to look into my refund with my P45 from that year.

And yep. No welfare. Nothing. I moved to Holland in June of that year and started freelancing in November. My partner and savings covered my costs from April-November.

Appreciate the help guys.

Advertisement