Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anythng better then Garageband?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I recently purchase Rode NT1A condenser mic with Roland Duo-Capture Ex.
    I hooked it up to my Mac using Garageband, but the recording volume is very small.
    From what I gather from internet forums that Garageband is causing it.
    My problem is that NT1A is good mic and Garabegand is not letting me to use it to its full potential.
    I need to record small choir.

Any recommendation for a good software?

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

piszton wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently purchase Rode NT1A condenser mic with Roland Duo-Capture Ex.
    I hooked it up to my Mac using Garageband, but the recording volume is very small.
    From what I gather from internet forums that Garageband is causing it.
    My problem is that NT1A is good mic and Garabegand is not letting me to use it to its full potential.
    I need to record small choir.

Any recommendation for a good software?

Thanks

What interface are you using?
    Unlikely to be Garageband, as that just captures what's coming from the mic through the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 piszton

I'm using Roland Duo Capture ex

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

I'm using Roland Duo Capture ex

Sorry, missed that in your first post...
    aslong as phantom power is turned on, it should just be a matter of turning up the preamp on the interface if you're not getting enough level on the track going into Garageband.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 piszton

Thanks, it is way up now which is recording fine when I'm very close to the mic, but my concern is how it'll work when I put it in front of small group of singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks, it is way up now which is recording fine when I'm very close to the mic, but my concern is how it'll work when I put it in front of small group of singers.

So your original problem is solved?

If so, you will adjust the gain control which fitz highlighted to suit your source material.

The type of microphone you have (condenser) is what is normally used for choral sources; however, do not expect the signal to be as loud as your voice is when you are close to it.

What you will need to do is stand in different spots around your recording space, find where you have the nicest balance of direct sound to ambient/room/reverb and then place the microphone there. Do a test recording and decide if it would be better to move it closer of further. Adjust the gain so you get a more healthy level.

Remember that you have a single microphone, which will record a mono signal so it will not have the stereo image that you would perceive when testing microphone location spots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just from a complete novice luddite (but also interested in recording choir at some stage..).. Leaving aside the 'live free tempo feel' ; would it be better to record the harmony in sections with the conductor using a click track or recording of the 1st part? Like recording the sopranos then whilst listening to that conduct the altos in time with it!.
    Probably need a tonne of headphones though but it might allow for more up close recording for each section!

Room acoustics have a big part to play too. When we rehearse in a large hall with all the cushioned chairs laid out it kills any reverb and gives a more 'up-close' sound. Its easier to add in a little reverb after if it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TheArtOfNoise

Try Reaper DAW, its much better than Garageband...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grurtons

As you are on a mac I would go for Logic Pro X.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

How is a change of DAW going to affect an audio input?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

paulo6891 wrote: »
    How is a change of DAW going to affect an audio input?

That is just what the OP thought was the case; it isn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement