Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box located over cooker...problem?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I just got a survey done on a house and it said that the fuse box and meter are located in a cupboard over the cooker and that this is a fire risk. If there was a fire at the cooker then you would be unable to turn off the power.

Is this a big issue in your opinion?
    What would it cost to move the box and meter? Not anywhere else the cooker can be moved to in the kitchen.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I just got a survey done on a house and it said that the fuse box and meter are located in a cupboard over the cooker and that this is a fire risk. If there was a fire at the cooker then you would be unable to turn off the power.

Is this a big issue in your opinion?
    What would it cost to move the box and meter? Not anywhere else the cooker can be moved to in the kitchen.

If it were my home I would move the distribution board.

My main concerns would be:

1) To comply with the regulations the distribution board must be accessible.
    2) Steam and grease from cooking entering the distribution board, but perhaps the cupboard prevents this?

Ideally it will be possible to move the board without having to join any cables (although this is unlikely). I managed this before by moving it to the other side of the wall. It is best to replace the board when doing this.

Impossible to estimate the cost without seeing it, but I would guess it will be at least €500 (including new board).

Is there a floor above the distribution board?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wouldn't be happy with the mcb board there and if its the old fuse type board its well worth your while changing it and moving together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thewhitetable

Thanks! The seller thinks its not a problem and has lived there for many years but I don't think I would be happy with it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I wouldn't be happy living with this it breaking every regulation, a fuse board shouldn't be directly over a cooker where you have heat and steam cannot be safe. I'd say cost wise you be looking around 300-500 depending on work involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

I came across a similar situation a few years back, since you have both the fuseboard and meter moving the cooker would be an easier task.
    Perhaps you could install a seperate hob oven and work them into the existing kitchen.
    Moving a fuseboard and a meter can be very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Thanks! The seller thinks its not a problem and has lived there for many years but I don't think I would be happy with it.

I'd probably get an electrician to test the entire installation before moving the fuseboard. Sounds like its an older house and there may be other unforeseen problems along the way especially if it was wired in the era where rcd's weren't complulsory.

Advertisement