Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request permission to use content

Options
  • 23-02-2015 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of making a youtube video and I'm using a video from a news agency, also on youtube, and a movie soundtrack.

Do I need to request permission to use these? If I don't, will they be taken down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

theres no definitive answer as far as i can tell, sometimes you can use content already online and it wont be flagged sometimes it will be flagged and you will be notified that the content is owned by someone else but they wont take it down or at times it will notify that the video will not be viewable in Germany or some other country, other times your video will be muted or a portion will be muted and it can be taken down if the owner of the content request a takedown.
    Requesting permission might result in a refusal or you may not even get an answer or you might get a bill, as far as I can see try publish and see what happens. Thats been my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Fionn wrote: »
    theres no definitive answer as far as i can tell, sometimes you can use content already online and it wont be flagged sometimes it will be flagged and you will be notified that the content is owned by someone else but they wont take it down or at times it will notify that the video will not be viewable in Germany or some other country, other times your video will be muted or a portion will be muted and it can be taken down if the owner of the content request a takedown.
    Requesting permission might result in a refusal or you may not even get an answer or you might get a bill, as far as I can see try publish and see what happens. Thats been my experience anyway.

Is it a good idea to leave the video contect in the credits as ''courtesy of...''.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Credit the original sources, tick the third party content box. Turn off monetization. You should fly under the radar as long as you don't want to make money off the video and it's not just third party content with little or no original qualities to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Probably wont do any harm but wouldn't have any effect on copyright, youtube uses a system called Content ID thats essentially a database of copyright files, the content owner can decide what they want to do if the content is matched.
    As has been mentioned if theres no commercial use most times nothing happens, i have one video where the music is blocked in Cook Islands, Germany, New Zealand and Samoa why those countries I'm not sure why just those places but the copyright holder has specified them.
    If you upload your finished video and go [URL="to https://youtube.com/my_videos_copyright"]to https://youtube.com/my_videos_copyright[/URL] you'll see if there's any matched content, you can also acknowledge it here

some good reading can be found here
    https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/2778545?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=2676339

Advertisement