Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Poetry Predictions

Options
  • 22-02-2015 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

We've done:
    Slyvia Plath
    Eiléan
    WB Yeats
    Emily Dickinson

Also we haven't done all the poets poems which confuses me :pac:.

What poets do you guys think are due up this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

We've done:
    Slyvia Plath
    Eiléan
    WB Yeats
    Emily Dickinson

Also we haven't done all the poets poems which confuses me :pac:.

What poets do you guys think are due up this year?

Not Plath and more than likely not Dickinson. Probably not Yeats either. After that it's fair game in my opinion.

What do you mean by not having done all their poems? We generally do 5/6 for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Not Plath and more than likely not Dickinson. Probably not Yeats either. After that it's fair game in my opinion.

What do you mean by not having done all their poems? We generally do 5/6 for each.

Yeah what i mean is we've completed:
    10 poems for emily we done 6/10
    10 poems for slyvia we done 5/10
    etc

Is there a reason why teachers do that as all the poems by each poet follow similar themes?

And thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

I think one of Plath, Dickinson and Yeats wll come up, as they all came up last year, and usually thats what they do. But who knows. I could be wrong.
    I'll be doing
    1-ENC
    2-Frost
    3-Montague
    4-Dickinson or Plath or Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Frost
    Donne
    Ni Chuilleanain
    Montague

I would be pretty happy with that choice tbh. It will also be Yeat's 150th birthday around June so I'd say the SEC will honour him somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Yeah what i mean is we've completed:
    10 poems for emily we done 6/10
    10 poems for slyvia we done 5/10
    etc

Is there a reason why teachers do that as all the poems by each poet follow similar themes?

And thanks :)

I've never heard of anyone covering the 10. I guess it's just narrowing down the course, same as doing 6 poets and not 8. You only need to do 4/5 poems in a question so it just makes sense I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I feel a bit reluctant to give them away... Hmmm

They change a good bit over time, but as it stands:

Dickinson
    Montague
    Frost
    Hardy

Montague could he switched for Yeats.. Both irish males and one of the two must come up really.
    Hardy and Montague coming up together, doesn't sound that likely, concerning.
    Dickinson is up against Plath and Ni Chill, both of the others will not come up (because.. Well.. Shhh!!)
    Frost is up With Donne and maybe Hardy.

I'll probably study those four and Plath (because she's so interesting, I could spend my spare time studying one of her poems!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Hopefully one of either Frost or Dickinson will come up. I wouldn't mind Plath either but I doubt she will come up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I predict that 4 poets will come up! ;)

If you've covered 5, you can be absolutely sure that you will see one of them on the paper (possibly more).

There's actually no other way to be absolutely certain, and the reduction in stress the days before the exam will be well worth the bit of extra work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I predict that 4 poets will come up! ;)

If you've covered 5, you can be absolutely sure that you will see one of them on the paper (possibly more).

There's actually no other way to be absolutely certain, and the reduction in stress the days before the exam will be well worth the bit of extra work now.

I agree, it's better to put in even just a few hours to write notes on less likely poets. Like write a couple of key notes per poem that means that you have a chance of picking up a good 30 marks or so rather than the chance of getting 5 or ten.

A good plan would be to have Montague and Yeats covered well and then just have three others briefly prepared. It about 8 hours of work to get three of those poets covered, and you could probably get that done withing the next three days. And avoid the chance that you decide to go over one or two more the day before the exam because you can't handle the possibility, and waste the most precious time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saz513

I'm banking on my main man, John Montague :D
    Otherwise Hardy, Frost or Ni Chuil would be alright, I spose.. I pretty much despise all the rest of the poets anyways :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement