Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland - October

Options
  • 22-02-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have just booked flights to Iceland next October with WOW. It was one of those things that I thought I had fully planned out as I done the research on the different places such as Reykjavik, the golden circle, blue lagoon, Lake Myvatn, vatnajokull national park among others and thought if anything 2 weeks would not be enough time but now with the short days and more specifically the road conditions/weather i'm concerned that I will not be able to go to half the places and I am wondering if I should book a return flight from Iceland to Boston for the second week.
    Has anyone been to Iceland around that time of year and is able to tell me what to expect?
    thanks in advance,
    The-Island-Man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Relax and don't panic.
    I have lived a full winter in Iceland and think its the best time to get see the sights. Yes its colder, yes there is now more snow and yes there is less daylight hours, but so what! For example, swimming in the Blue Lagoon at nigh in the snow is amazing.

You mention wanting to do Reykjavik, the golden circle, blue lagoon... all that is perfectly do'able, presuming you will rent a car. No problems there.
    Also for Lake Myvatn, its probably best to fly to Akureyr than drive, but even in winter the drive is ok, just a very very long. There is so much to see and do Dimmuborgir, Neslond, Krafla, Godafoss and Jardbodin Nature Baths are fantastic.

Remember, Iceland and Reykjavik in particular has a great night scene, so ditch thoughts of Boston, just prepare a good plan and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Thanks H2G2. You put my mind at ease.

I guess i'm at ease about shorts days and things to do. What I am more concerned about is safety in driving. Driving on and off the ring road.
    I plan on renting a 4 wheel drive but still wondering are gravel roads safe in winter?

An example i'd use here is i'm thinking of going to Dettifoss waterfall near Myvatn. Using Google street view the road (864) off the ring road to get to it looks like landscape off mars!! Also hoping to go right around the ring road.

Thanks for the advice.
    --
    the-island-man

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

When it comes to driving it all depends on what you are used to in terms of snow and road conditions. Its very hard to know as its purely a personal decision what its like to drive on a gravel road and a gravel road in snow. Stay on major road and off dirt tracks. Believe it or not the 864 road is a significant secondary road, so its rarely closed.
    You are right about the 864 looking like a martian landscape and thats true of most of the country... and thats the major charm IMHO.

There is a good youtube video that I recommenced to people which you may find useful to watch.

In winter before any trip the Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration website http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/ is your friend. The roads are color coded for condition and also webcams are available.

BTW, you will actually find Godafoss much easier to access by comparison
    The road from Akureyri to Myvatn in usually reasonably good shape during the winter, but don't expect hourly snow plough's to pass by... daily, maybe twice daily perhaps.

You said you would like to travel the ring road... be aware its much long that you think. I have never manged to do it all in one trip. I would recommend at least a 10 days, preferably 15 for the trip. Here is a 10 day version of the trip, but I really think its too quick.
    Also most of the East isn't as interesting IMHO, the [South/North] West is most interesting. Give serious thought to a 2 base holiday Reykjavik and Akureyri, with flights in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Thank you for all the advice H2G2, you've really put my mind at ease and given me clarity :)

Advertisement