Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-purchase house structural survey

Options
  • 22-02-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I am in the process of organising a structural survey for a small terraced house about 90 years old. I have had a look at some sample structural survey reports and they seem quite detailed so presumably would highlight any structural flaws and other major defects.

Visually, the house needs refurbishment, repair to damage to rendering on side wall, repair to chimney tiles, repair to roof tiles and roof covering to small extnension. A builder gave me a ball park quote for all of this work and for total refurbishment to inside of house including labour which sounded reasonable but after looking at the sample structural report and the mention of what various works could be for that house I feel very depressed and expect that the builder's quote is not realistic.

I will know after the structural report I guess but I am having major cold feet now about buying an old house.

Would be interested in hearing others experience of buying old house houses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Personally, I prefer to buy an older property. The build quality and soundproofing are better for a start. Given the age and condition of the house, you have to expect some repair work to be done. But you have to be realistic about the repair costs and have an idea in your head how much work would be too much for you. Get at least three quotes for the work, and try to see previous examples of the work.

Don't forget also, a full structural survey will give you the worst possible scenario, and will list EVERYTHING that needs to be done, whether the work is urgent or not. I'd look at getting the roof and chimney repairs done first, then you can take your time and do the rest.

HTH and Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Thanks ABajanin. Yes good points, not eveything in the survey report will be deemed as urgent and I will cost the priority items and get them sorted first. I can then get a few quotes for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trucker

Interesting issue from the OP, I am in a somewhat similar situation. I got a survey done, and it transpires the house needs some work that wasn't initially visible.

No contracts have been signed yet, but is there any point in going back to the vendor and renegotiate the price? Did the OP try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

There are two things you need to consider here:

1. What is the demand on the house like? Much interest from other bidders? If so you may find it hard for the seller to budge on price.

2. Are the issues structural? If they are and you were unaware of them beforehand its reasonable to review your offer. A lot of engineers reports are scary to the uninitiated, you need to see past the caveats to the real problems and most guys are happy to talk to that rather than put in on paper.

I personally think if a house is older and the issues with it may not be straightforward you are much better off getting a survey before looking to bid. That way you are going in with your eyes open before wasting more money, effort and time.

Hi Trucker,

OP here. We got the survey done and recceived the report. It highlighted some major issues that we did not expect including some structural aspects. The estimated amount to fix them is far higher than we budgeted for. In our situation there is so much extra work required that we were put off totally and did not try to negotiate with the vendor. We were happy to take on a refurbishment project but it turned out it would have been a building project with a kitchen extension having to be knocked down and some other major items. We would have had to be getting the house for nothing to even consider proceeding after the survey.

I think you should try to re negotiate if you are happy to take on the work required. Anyone buying in their senses would get a survey of an old house done so presumably any other parties interested in the house would come up with the same situation.

Can I ask another question? For a newer house, built in the last 8 or so years, is it usual to get a full survey done on this also? I am paranoid at this stage. Thing is a survey is costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Woodworm
    No party walls in roof space if its semi detached or terraced.
    Rot in timbers
    Damp on ground floor
    No loft insulation.
    Metal water tank
    Old heating system
    No double glazing.
    Old wiring.
    Old plumbing
    Subsidence

New house-make sure its not in a Pyrite estate or if it is has the problem been repaired. Also if buying in a newer development there is bound to be postings in here about it so ask. Some of the recent builds were very poor so don't just assume because its newer its going to be better.

Thanks very much RORY. Very good points which I shall keep in mind.

Advertisement