Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP Phones

Options
  • 22-02-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

My family owns a small business, and we're looking to convert to VOIP (probably goldfish.ie) to reduce call costs and increase functionality with IVR.

I'm fairly competent with computers, but I was wondering if these VOIP handsets come as plug and play with the ethernet cable or is tinkering required with the router for QoS etc? It's an enterprise server setup so I'm cautious modifying any existing settings,

cheers,

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Kevin! wrote: »
    My family owns a small business, and we're looking to convert to VOIP (probably goldfish.ie) to reduce call costs and increase functionality with IVR.

I'm fairly competent with computers, but I was wondering if these VOIP handsets come as plug and play with the ethernet cable or is tinkering required with the router for QoS etc? It's an enterprise server setup so I'm cautious modifying any existing settings,

cheers,

Kevin

How many phones are you looking to deploy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

QoS is setup at the router and is recommended but you don't have to use it. It's good practice to use QoS though.

What router do you have? What's you're broadband speeds like?

Goldfish phones are plug and play. QoS isn't required and many don't set it up and have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

How many phones are you looking to deploy?

4-5 handsets with 3 landline numbers
    Mr. G wrote: »
    QoS is setup at the router and is recommended but you don't have to use it. It's good practice to use QoS though.

What router do you have? What's you're broadband speeds like?

Goldfish phones are plug and play. QoS isn't required and many don't set it up and have no issues.

Im not sure of the exact model, I'll have to check next time I'm in but it's a buffalo one so I can only assume it's running dd-wrt?

I think we're getting about 20mb in from Vodafone non fiber, which runs into the buffalo router as a bridge and then into an ancient switch which I think slows down the connection somewhat

Would my best bet be running another Ethernet cable into the buffalo router and buying another newer gigabit switch for the voip setup and run them all from there? and is there anything else apart from QoS that may need to be configured?

Thank you,

What's your upload speed like? Vodafone can change the profile on your line to give you a bit more of an upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Mr. G wrote: »
    What's your upload speed like? Vodafone can change the profile on your line to give you a bit more of an upload.

Just did a speedtest and it's not looking good, will get onto vodafone in the morning.

The way it seems to be configured is Eircom Router >> Sonic Wall (TZ 170) >> Switch (SMC 10/100), I tested by plugging ethernet directly into a spare port on the sonic wall.

117890282.png
    4168400140.png

what sort of upload speeds would I want for flawless voip?

• Advertisement

Kevin! wrote: »
    Just did a speedtest and it's not looking good, will get onto vodafone in the morning.

The way it seems to be configured is Eircom Router >> Sonic Wall (TZ 170) >> Switch (SMC 10/100), I tested by plugging ethernet directly into a spare port on the sonic wall.

117890282.png
    4168400140.png

what sort of upload speeds would I want for flawless voip?

100kbps down 100kbps up per concurrent call. You need to set up QoS just to ensure the phone's get priority. If someone goes downloading a movie or something your phones could go to crap.

Chances are for a small office it would be ok but I wouldn't risk it. QoS is very straightforward to setup. Just give static ips of the phones connected to Goldfish network-control priority.

Advertisement