Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher level English comparative study help please!!!

Options
  • 21-02-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

hi everyone,
    I'm in fifth year and am currently doing HL English.
    i'm studying the following for the comparative study
    • the kings speech
    • plough and the stars
    • foster
    tbh i dont really know how to study for it any help would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance :P:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Also I'm considering studying pride and prejudice instead of foster which would be easier do you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Do you have an English teacher or are you doing the course on your own? If you have a teacher you should leave it up to him or her. This is one area of the course where experience counts for a lot. If you're doing the course on your own I would seriously consider getting grinds. There is a lot that can go wrong in the comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Do you have an English teacher or are you doing the course on your own? If you have a teacher you should leave it up to him or her. This is one area of the course where experience counts for a lot. If you're doing the course on your own I would seriously consider getting grinds. There is a lot that can go wrong in the comparative.
    thanks, no i have a teacher, but its I just kinda wanted to get a bit ahead because of my course needing so many points I just thought that I might give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Your teacher will choose the texts for the class. My advice is to trust your teacher on this. The comparative (in fact the English course in general) is not something you can manage on your own without guidance. If you choose texts now and 'give it a go' what are you going to do when the class is covering three completely different texts for the comparative? (There's every chance this could happen.) Don't make life hard for yourself.
    If you're determined to get ahead in English the best thing you can do is read as much as you can. Start with the books on the comparative list, try the Booker prize long-list. Read books for adults, not YA or similar.
    If you feel the need to study, go over the poetry or single text you've covered, practice answering questions with the PCLM scheme in mind. This would time well spent. Getting bogged down in the comparative with no idea of what you're supposed to be doing will probably be a waste of your time.

Advertisement