Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete or wooden stairs?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether a concrete stairs or wooden stairs is better?

We are currently drawing up plans for a dormer house so looking for any advice on which is best.

Also, if we go with concrete stairs and wanted to cover it with carpet but have some timber at the sides is this possible?

Also if we cover a concrete stairs totally with wood is it cheaper just to install a wooden stairs?

Sorry about all the questions but we are totally novices when it comes to building and all seems very complicated...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

You're looking at about €1800 for the concrete stairs and then the same again to clad it in timber. It's cheaper to just go with wooden but you have the problem with protecting it during the build.

I myself have concrete and while it was extremely handy while the house was under construction I'd probably go with timber if I was going it again and save the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We live in a dormer and when we first converted up stairs went with a carpeted wooden stairs with mahogany balustrades.

It was very dark and dreary, as the only light from above was two east facing velux windows, even though they are 4 foot square each.

We later went with a floating stairs from http://www.spireco.ie

Not cheap but it is so much brighter and the southern winter sun comes in the bedroom window out the door and into the front room through the stairs, Newgrange-esque!!

Just make sure you get it to meet the requirements for being child proof re gaps.

Finally, think long and hard about the makeup of, and finished floor level up stairs as the risers all need to be the same.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement