Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to dublin HIM

Options
  • 21-02-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Newbie Q: I'm looking at what I should do to build up to this? I've registered for a sprint on Carlow mid May. I can't do Athy. I see tri an Mhi is highly rated and standard distance 13 June.. Would this be a good B race? Make my mistakes there? Or should I stick to shorter races until HIM 9 aug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Steroo wrote: »
    Newbie Q: I'm looking at what I should do to build up to this? I've registered for a sprint on Carlow mid May. I can't do Athy. I see tri an Mhi is highly rated and standard distance 13 June.. Would this be a good B race? Make my mistakes there? Or should I stick to shorter races until HIM 9 aug?

Given you have little swim experience and less open water experience I would do as many aquathons as you can, then the sprints you had planned and do an Olympic distance so the swim isn't a total shock to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

+1 on the Aquathons - best OW training you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I had my eye on pulse bull wall aquaton.

I can't see any Olympic ? Any suggestions? Thanks

I had my eye on pulse bull wall aquaton.

I can't see any Olympic ? Any suggestions? Thanks

Olympic triathlon I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tunney wrote: »
    Olympic triathlon I meant

I know! lol looking for Olympic tri so auit build up to dublin HIM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

olympic are called standard on the ti site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

MOD: no, not this race

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Enter races that will affect your goal race. The Dublin HIM is a sea swim, so enter sea races after you've done the river Carlow. You'll learn a lot; sea swimming is very different to a pool lane. Getting dunked, punched, goggles ripped off... I'm tempted to say you should also prepare for swimming in a swell, but the Dublin HIM swim will be truncated at the first sign of waves.

If you've not done transitions before, get some race practice in there. There's always stuff to improve on in Trans. FWIW I'd recommend Bray aquathlons, you'll get to try out the washing machine around the bouys in a safe enviroment not too far from shore. I'd agree with Tunney that OW practice should be your main goal. Fair play to you though, you seem to be taking the HIM preparation seriously.

Oops...

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    FWIW I'd recommend Bray aquathlons, you'll get to try out the washing machine around the bouys in a safe enviroment not too far from shore.

Definitely agree with the the aquathlon series is great craic they're on in the evenings though so depending on location they might not suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Sligo Tri Club are running an Olympic/Standard race on Sunday July 19th, it's part of the NS and would be a perfect warm-up race , being 3 weeks out. Entries opening soon.

Boardcore wrote: »
    Sligo Tri Club are running an Olympic/Standard race on Sunday July 19th, it's part of the NS and would be a perfect warm-up race , being 3 weeks out. Entries opening soon.

Why would three weeks out be perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

I would view it as a sharpening event, to bring some intensity to your final block of training, before you would enter the tapering phase. Depending on what plan you are following, you may be coming off a recovery week and would be itching for a race. I know I have been in the past and it has stood me well, bringing on my fitness.

Advertisement