Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert subjects

Options
  • 21-02-2015 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

we have to pick our subject choices soon and I haven't a clue what I want to do so I want to find out info in relation to the following subjects
    Engineering
    Business
    Art
    DCG
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Accountancy
    I am doing Business and Metalwork currently for my junior cert . Any help would be very helpful,
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Out of those I only do Chemistry - it's a useful subject to have but I find it very difficult, there's a lot of information that you need to get your head around and understand properly rather than just learning off definitions. It's a fairly short course though. If you enjoy science and are considering doing a science course in university I would recommend it but if you don't have any particular interest in it then you shouldn't do it as you would find it extremely boring and difficult.
    I have heard that Geography and Business are quite similar in terms of work - they both seem like quite long courses but most of the work is easy to comprehend and just consists of learning things off.
    I have heard that Accounting can be difficult but the exam is very predictable and if you are willing to put in the practice it's easy enough to get good marks. I don't know anything about the others, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I'm not trying to be funny, but most of the stuff you learn in school at LC level that you think will be "useful" in college is not. You'll be told my lecturers to forget what you learned on day one (particularly for economics, for some reason :P).

Some things are genuinely needed, which is why they are course requirements (Honours Maths, for example, for most Engineering as there's a good amount involved).

You can feel free to take stuff that *may* be helpful in college, but you will be at no real disadvantage if you don't.

I'd honestly advocate doing one science and one humanities subject (Business is meant to be good) and base your choices for LC more on what you are good at than anything. A science subject should keep your options wide. Look for course requirements for courses you are considering and take them into account too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Thank you both it was very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

I do accounting. At the beginning I found it pretty difficult, as did most of my class (there's only 12). When we were doing things like disposal accounts (which are only 60 markers anyway, people usually do the 120 marker) i found it pretty difficult, and was actually considering changing, but i stuck with it. But now its getting a lot easier! Its a nice break from theory subjects, and you just need to constantly practice the accounts and it gets easier. I picked it for that exact reason, a break from studying reams and reams of textbook. I have a great teacher and my class is really small so we all help each other out so i guess i'm biased, but its a subject you can practice and get a very high grade in it.Yes the homework is significantly more time consuming that other subjects, and studying for a test involves doing out a lot of different T accounts, but its really rewarding!! Its a great break from studying :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are doing drawing as well as Metalwork for JC, I would keep on DCG. There is a large practical element.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your answers☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Heya I'm in 5th year and I do accounting and geography! Geography firstly is a subject which I absoulety despise! My teacher is not the best and I just have no idea what we're supposed to be learning but anyhow thats a story for a different day!
    If you liked geography for junior cert (I didn't) you will probably like it for leaving cert.

Accounting is a subject which I really like don't get me wrong sometimes its the most confusing thing but my teacher is amazing and since theres only 10 of us its a really enjoyable class! However all our class are doing higher maths not sure if that's just a coincidence or its because you need to be good at maths to master accounting! Anyway hope I was a little bit of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

However all our class are doing higher maths not sure if that's just a coincidence or its because you need to be good at maths to master accounting!

I'm also in Fifth and do accounting and geography, mayogirlie's post is pretty spot on, just the quoted bit i can add onto, my accounting class of 14 people (originally 16) all do higher level maths too, the maths in accounting ISN'T hard but to master accounting you must be a logical thinker and logical thinkers are usually good at maths, its also because of the type of student who chooses accounting is often quite studious, something like 20% of people who do accounting get an A afaik :)

Thanks for the help that was very helpful☺️

Advertisement