Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good beginner ladies touring bike anyone?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start some cycle-touring this spring, I'll start with a few Irish trips and then hopefully some on the continent. I want to bring my tent and cooking gear with me on the bike plus additionals.

Any advice on a starter bike that would fit the bill? I've seen a Jupiter Libra 24-gear 16' frame which looks like it could be good, but I don't fully know what the difference between a hybrid, a road bike and a 'touring' bike, and which cataegory the Jupiter Libra fits into.

Any advice would be much appreciated. And also any good beingger cycle-touring routes if people have some :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd advise staying away from lady specific bikes. All my bikes are regular mens ones and the ladies ones seem needlessly expensive.

I am not the most knowledgeable on bike recommendations, I would recommend a decent aluminum bike, not too heavy, and most definitely go for a road tourer. Something light, you'll be lugging a lot of stuff, and as the owner of a heavy old machine don't make life hard for yourself before you load up! The road bars give you at least 4 different hand options, and if you're touring you're going to want to stretch yourself out over the day. With a straight bar you don't have that many options. Also re group set, look for Shimano, Campagnolo or Sram branded ones. Shimano is the most common. I like 10 speed, as I like knowing there are options there! You want something reliable. Look at Audax frames, some super knowledgeable Audax/touring people will be along soon I'm sure to advise you better :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Go for something like a specialized sirrus you have plenty of gears rack attachment and flat bars good for beginner

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iwasattheRas

I agree with the previous posts but could I just add in.....If you are going yo be doing long rides abroad etc with loads, go for a 10 speed triple. You will need all the gears you can get. I would also at this point forget about Campagnolo and just stick to good old Shimano which is compatible with Sram and available everywhere should you run into a problem and need a part or two. You would have problems getting campagnolo parts even if you broke down outside their factory. I'm not knocking Campagnolo. I love it but it's just too hard to source parts. A good Aluminium bike is ideal as it will most likely have all the fittings for guards, racks etc. WSD (WOMEN SPECIFIC DESIGN) bikes are a myth. Any bike is good. Just make sure it is a good comfortable fit. A women's saddle would be a good idea though. If getting a professional bike fit, make sure they know you intend to go touring. Good luck and enjoy this wonderful dport/ pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

benneca1 wrote: »
    Go for something like a specialized sirrus you have plenty of gears rack attachment and flat bars good for beginner

The sirrus is a commuter hybrid. Not really fit for what the OP is describing.I did some 50k + spins on my old hybrid and my back was in bits before I hit the 40 mark.

People will point out that you can do longer spins on Hybrids etc, but if you're buying a bike to enjoy touring on get the best handling, most comfortable, flexible and all round enjoyable bike you can on your budget.

As a way to build up to full blown touring it might be worth looking at some of the Audax type stuff, since it's basically just touring without the nicety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I wouldn't worry about a women's specific bike. Looking at the Specialized Awol myself. Not too expensive for a first timer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rickara3

Thanks all for the suggestions. Sensed the man/woman spec thing might not be too big a deal once the frame is a good fit, good to have it confirmed. Saying that, I have a couple of painful memories from childhood hopping off my bro's bike too quickly and REALLY wishing that bar hadn't been there - watery eyes just thinking about the pain!

Advertisement