Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon - Abbey Hotel

Options
  • 20-02-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking into Abbey Hotel as a possible wedding venue.. Just wondering if anyone has been to a wedding here or had their own wedding here? just wondering about the quality of food and service? - Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

emldeen wrote: »
    Looking into Abbey Hotel as a possible wedding venue.. Just wondering if anyone has been to a wedding here or had their own wedding here? just wondering about the quality of food and service? - Thanks all!

Was at several weddings over the years, very consistent. Ran by greally family in a lot of years. Good food, good service, no bad experiences that I heard of and it's relatively local to where I live. I'd have no worries tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emldeen

Thanks... that is very reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Three or four of my friends/ work colleagues have had their wedding there. No complaints about food or service from them or from any of the guests I was with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have stayed there a few times but not for a wedding. Its a really nice well run hotel. I will choose it in preference to many. Far preferable to many of the celtic tiger four star hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Hi OP - did you stick with the abbey in the end?
    If so, how did you find it?

Has anyone any experience of a reception there since it was renovated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I was there earlier on this year. To me, the reception room looks really modern so I assume thats been recently renovated. The food was nice, big portions and the service was fine (nothing spectacular, but equally don't remember having to wait ages for things either.) One thing I would say is that the wedding I was there for was probably at the limit capacity wise. They'd just over 250 ppl and I'd say thats the absolute limit - our table was quite squashed. The only other thing was that they didnt seem to anticipate how many people would go to the bar straight after the meal... I think it was a combination of inexperience behind the bar, and not having enough staff on, but I "won" our tables guess the length of the speeches competition and it took me over 25 mins to get the obligatory round in with my "winnings".

Wasnt such a fan of the rest of the hotel TBH. Rooms were extremely dated, but they still charged €140 for them. Breakfast was pretty average. I've stayed in a lot of hotels this year as part of weddings, and the Abbey was clearly bottom of the pile in terms of accommodation. They really shouldnt be charging that until after the rooms are improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have been to weddings there in the past and obviously the staff know what they're doing during the reception, but I find the bar area in general a disaster.
    Was hoping that reception management hasn't deteriorated like the bar has.
    I think the place looks great though, hopefully not style over substance.

Advertisement