Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help with EQ

Options
  • 20-02-2015 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm in the right forum!

This may sound a bit odd, but I hoping somebody may be able to help. Note I am not very knowledgeable about this - the most I've done in the past is some very basic recordings on Logic.

This file has two voices on it, as well as some morse code. I am trying to isolate the morse code so I can decode it.

I'm wondering if someone can give some pointers on how I could do this?
    I've noticed the morse is much more audible on the left channel, so I am using only this. After that I assume it is a matter of playing around with the EQ?
    I've tried various settings but can't quite seem to get it.

Note I've tried this on Audacity, but also have Logic at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TheArtOfNoise

Boost your mids on the EQ! Use a fletcher-munsen curve perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

There's a program called riffstation, normally used to isolate guitars/vocals in audio tracks, it may help.
    http://www.riffstation.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks so far for the suggestions. I've tried them both, haven't got it to work yet, but I will around with them a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ziondave

It might not be possible to completely isolate the morse but if it's mainly in the left channel then I'd get rid of the right all together and just work with the mono track. If you have logic use the channel EQ to analyse the frequency spectrum of the sample, then drop the frequencies that the vocals are taking up by cutting the gain completely in that area. You can change the q value to create more, or less, of a curve. Then find the morse code frequency, I'm guessing it should be just a small frequency band within the mid-high spectrum. Make a think q curve and boost that frequency. Be careful not to boost it so much that it's clipping and causing distortion though.

ziondave wrote: »
    It might not be possible to completely isolate the morse but if it's mainly in the left channel then I'd get rid of the right all together and just work with the mono track. If you have logic use the channel EQ to analyse the frequency spectrum of the sample, then drop the frequencies that the vocals are taking up by cutting the gain completely in that area. You can change the q value to create more, or less, of a curve. Then find the morse code frequency, I'm guessing it should be just a small frequency band within the mid-high spectrum. Make a think q curve and boost that frequency. Be careful not to boost it so much that it's clipping and causing distortion though.

Very helpful, thanks a lot! I'll spend some time trying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DaireGleeson

I do a lot of music production so this is up my street. The frequency is 862-867 I have made a recording of the frequency and upload it on zippy share were you can stream it, if you like I can PM. I can't post the link as I'm new here. Hope this helps.

I do a lot of music production so this is up my street. The frequency is 862-867 I have made a recording of the frequency and upload it on zippy share were you can stream it, if you like I can PM. I can't post the link as I'm new here. Hope this helps.

Many thanks Daire, that's perfect! I got close but didn't get it as clear as you have. I was able to finally hear the code properly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaireGleeson

No Problem, glad to help, I have the tools for it, a bit of time and it's something I enjoy doing.
    Daire

Advertisement