Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Orals

Options
  • 20-02-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi:)
    I'm doing HL Irish at the moment but i'm planning to drop to OL and my question is that in the oral exam, the examiner would not know if you're doing HL or OL but what If I gave HL answers , would the examiner think that i'm doing HL. would he/she then give me harder questions? will I need to give an OL answer to clarify i'm doing OL?
    I really wanna do well in the orals so i wanna give good answer to get marks. But I'm afraid that the examiner would think that I do HL Irish.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Yeah you should let them know as early as possible.So when they ask what your name is instead of saying 'Helen is ainm dom',say 'Tá mé Helen'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Yeah I see where you're coming from.

I'm very confident that the examiners do not know what level you're participating at, it's a sort of common exam. And nor do you tell them what level you are on.

That said, I'm not 100% sure about this..

Edit: just to add: it could be that the examiner would think you to be, I don't know, say a C standard Hl, and would be surprised that you are in OL and it would actually benefit you.

Could work in either way, though.

Edit again! I just remembered, I was at a Christmas course in HL, and our teacher said that you should make the impression that you are HL.
    To achieve this, she said to bring in a HL irish book with you, to show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

As a Leaving Cert oral examiner, higher and ordinary level are marked from the same marking scheme.
    Technically an ordinary level student could get a higher mark that a higher level student in the oral exam.
    You would be doing yourself a disservice by answering with "ordinary level" answers.
    Your mark in the oral exam will carry over no matter what level you take in June.
    It is in your best interests to answer all questions to the best of your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

What, just to wave around and say "dis mah buke"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

No, for the poetry reading.

• Advertisement

Pretty much! Just bring in a HL book and the examiner will realise you're in HL and get questions that a HL student would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

No, for the poetry reading.

Wait doesn't the examiner bring their own copies of the poems and the sraith pictiúrs (pictiúraí...?) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

emersyn wrote: »
    Wait doesn't the examiner bring their own copies of the poems and the sraith pictiúrs (pictiúraí...?) ?

You can bring your own copy of the poems and you can even write them out phonetically to help you if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Helenm98

Yeah I see where you're coming from.

I'm very confident that the examiners do not know what level you're participating at, it's a sort of common exam. And nor do you tell them what level you are on.

That said, I'm not 100% sure about this..

Edit: just to add: it could be that the examiner would think you to be, I don't know, say a C standard Hl, and would be surprised that you are in OL and it would actually benefit you.

Could work in either way, though.

Edit again! I just remembered, I was at a Christmas course in HL, and our teacher said that you should make the impression that you are HL.
    Thanks for the advice, but what if I want to clarify that I am an OL student and wanting to get easy question and at the same time I can answer the easy OL question perfectly . How can I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Helenm98

Pretty much! Just bring in a HL book and the examiner will realise you're in HL and get questions that a HL student would get.

I want to clarify that I am an OL student, so should I just bring in my OL book and get easy question and I would give HL answer to suprise/please the examiner

• Advertisement

Helenm98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, but what if I want to clarify that I am an OL student and wanting to get easy question and at the same time I can answer the easy OL question perfectly . How can I do that?

I don't think you can/should tell them you are in ordinary level, but I imply that you are, there's probably a few ways!

If you want them to get the impression straight away, you could bring in an OL book as stated in my other post.

Maybe another way that wouldn't happen straight away, have it prepped to say, 'oh, I moved to ordinary level just to make sure I passed irish' to say when a good moment occurs.

Or when you're introducing yourself, blurt out that you're an OL student (pretend as if you're ignorant about the exam!)

But I'm not sure if it really matters. They'll start off easy, what subjects you do, do you get along with family. The examiner will get a good idea of what level you are (especially from the sraith) before moving onto the harder questions and, more importantly, before they grade the essay.

I can see where you're coming from, that if you give a good quality answer, it may appear you're a HL student.. And you'll be more prone to the harder questions as a result. But it's a lot better being asked hard questions than a question on what you do when you get up in the morning. Giving a bad answer (relatively) for a hard question could indeed give you more marks than a good answer on an easy question.

Helenm98 wrote: »
    I want to clarify that I am an OL student, so should I just bring in my OL book and get easy question and I would give HL answer to suprise/please the examiner

I'd say they'd generally get an idea of your standard and ask questions on that. It's a long question and the examiner could know your standard within a few questions. Not an OL or HL standard, but a general standard. If you surprise them on one of your first questions, they're just going to ask you a harder question next, until there's a sort of balance with question standard and your standard.

I talk as if I know stuff about this! Ive only been to one mock irish oral so far though!

Advertisement