Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting to photograph one of my fav bands

Options
  • 20-02-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Im just an amatuer photogrpaher but think i may have a great opportunity to get some amazing photo's at a concert. My husband just got me VIP tickets to see the Counting Crows during the summer.

I wouldn't be one for taking my DSLR to a gig but i think this oppurtunity lends to bending the rules. I get to meet the band and get to attend the sound check. I also have a telephoto lens which i think would come in handy.

If anyone has taken shots at a gig and have any tips id love to hear them.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The biggest tip - make sure you have permission to bring the camera to take photos. In many cases, you are not permitted.

Other than that, pop up your ISO and hold yourself as steady as possible.

Have fun with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

Agree with Paulw. I would be surprised if they let you bring your camera but great if that's the case.
    If it's a YES, then I would also consider renting a good lens (ideally f2.8 or less) for low light. Or maybe a combo of a long lens for the actual gig and a prime 50mm lens for meeting the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

thanks for the tip about getting permission guys. Such a basic thing but something i hadn't thought of. must look into how do i find out about such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Make sure you have a decent telephoto. an 18-200/300 or 70-300 will leave you very disappointed especially if it's on an entry level camera.

And shoot in RAW. If you aren't sure what RAW is, worry about it AFTER the gig. You'll be thankful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you are meeting the band I'd advise a point and shoot. You turn up with a dslr and you are told no, where will it go, security won't mind it. From working festivals and gigs a long time I have seen many a fan sent on their merry way back to car delaying getting to gig for an hour or worse if they got bus. I'd email the bands tour company as the promoters won't be able to issue you a pass without their consent.

• Advertisement

i think i found a way of contacting them and left a message. If i don't hear back at all ill just bring my husband's point and shoot as you say don't want to risk having to be told that i can't bring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

At some meet and greets they won't even allow a point and shoot and only allow their own photographer. Not sure what the Counting Crows would be like in this regard but no harm in checking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just following up .... how did you get on? Did you take photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Paulw wrote: »
    Just following up .... how did you get on? Did you take photos?

I wouldn't consider March to be summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Reoil wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider March to be summer...

Yep, it's not until June :)

• Advertisement

i haven't heard anything back yet so can't see it being really possible. ah well it was a nice thought anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You could always try and sneak your camera in. It's not that hard at a lot of gigs. Or get a decent point and shoot.
    It's unlikely you'll hear anything back as they are probably pretty busy dealing with other stuff that's more important.

Just got my VIP info and it stated that we can use DSLR camera's. Beyond excited. Ill be shooting in RAW and with my telephoto lens hoping to get some good shots. We are allowed to photograph the sound check but not necessarily the meet and greet and can photograph the gig so beyond excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Post a link to your pics when done n dusted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

I'd recommend bringing your camera and get there as early as possible. If they say you can't bring the camera in then you have to to return it to your car or something.

kevc2 wrote: »
    I'd recommend bringing your camera and get there as early as possible. If they say you can't bring the camera in then you have to to return it to your car or something.

i have VIP tickets so im going to be there from 2pm. ill be photographing the sound check and when we get back out with everyone else about 5.30 we will be allowed back in 10 min before everyone else ensuring we get the best spot so no fear of not getting up front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

mollybird wrote: »
    Just got my VIP info and it stated that we can use DSLR camera's. Beyond excited. Ill be shooting in RAW and with my telephoto lens hoping to get some good shots. We are allowed to photograph the sound check but not necessarily the meet and greet and can photograph the gig so beyond excited :)

I would have expected it to be other way around. Photos at the meet and greet and no photos from the sound check? :confused:

18970783439_bc5bd65d60.jpg

Only managed to get pics of the soundcheck in the end guys. wasn't allowed to bring my camera into the main gig :(
    counting crows sound check by Niamh Dorsaneo, on Flickr

Advertisement