Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replace new for old

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place for this, I recently bought a seagate 2TB external portable hard drive, briefly, the drive has malfunctioned and is under warranty till feb 2017, so seagate have told me I can return it for a replacement, however the replacements are not new they are factory refurbs, Now they will probably be as good as new (which was not very good in this case as it failed, after I had loads of my music, 700 gig worth, on it).
    The drive is only 2 weeks old, the warranty does not cover content but I can pay seagate another $99 to recover what's on the drive, (fat chance of that ever happening). being so new I would of thought that they have to replace it with a new unit? or is this just standard practice?
    I think it is a rip off.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why would they need to replace it with a new unit? The unit you have is obviously not new as you've used it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Nody wrote: »
    Why would they need to replace it with a new unit? The unit you have is obviously not new as you've used it.

Wha?

It's two weeks old, demand a new one from whereever you bought it or Small Claims them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Nody wrote: »

so using the same logic, if it was a car only 2 weeks old and something broke that couldn't be fixed it would be ok for them to replace it with a 2nd hand car?, I loaded a shed load of music onto it, then it wouldn't work, I never got to use it other than transferring the data. It should be replaced with a new unit imo.

KaaaaaaPOW wrote: »
    Wha?

demand a new one from whereever you bought it.
    I bought it in Argos, they say it is not covered by (their return) warranty once the seal is broken on the packaging.
    Seagate will replace it, just not happy that I am getting one that could be years old, albeit refurbished.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bought it in Argos, they say it is not covered by (their return) warranty once the seal is broken on the packaging.
    Seagate will replace it, just not happy that I am getting one that could be years old, albeit refurbished.
    That's change of mind, the seal thing. Yours is faulty. Different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Keep in mind that if they offer you a replacement, the warranty starts again and cannot be shorter that initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Keep in mind that if they offer you a replacement, the warranty starts again and cannot be shorter that initially.

The warranty does not start again and the product would only be covered to the end of the original warranty period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

so using the same logic, if it was a car only 2 weeks old and something broke that couldn't be fixed it would be ok for them to replace it with a 2nd hand car?, I loaded a shed load of music onto it, then it wouldn't work, I never got to use it other than transferring the data. It should be replaced with a new unit imo.
    Let me give you a real example; you buy a car that's standing in the car park. You sign the dotted line and get the key and drive off and the engine falls through two weeks later; do you think you'll get a new car or will you get a engine put in to replace it in a second hand car (because your car is second hand by that stage)? If it was DOA I'd agree on a new replacement; if it's not DOA then no, you don't have the right for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have thought argos would have given you a new one. Did you actually go to argos and tell them its broken?

I know its exempt from their no quibble cash back guarantee but I had broken stuff I brought back which was exempt and got a full cash refund. As the other poster said its not a change of mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

IT's within 30 days, regardless of everything else you're entitled to a replacement brand new item or your money back. It's Argos' responsibility to deal with this, not the manufacturer.

rubadub wrote: »
    I would have thought argos would have given you a new one. Did you actually go to argos and tell them its broken?

No I didn't, I have since emailed argos and they have told me to bring it in and they will replace it for a new one.
    As for seagate their policy is to replace any faulty items with reconditioned ones, even if it is faulty out of the box, so I will never buy any seagate products ever again that's for sure, thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No I didn't, I have since emailed argos and they have told me to bring it in and they will replace it for a new one.
    As for seagate their policy is to replace any faulty items with reconditioned ones, even if it is faulty out of the box, so I will never buy any seagate products ever again that's for sure, thanks for all the replies.

You may find yourself boycotting a lot of tech companies so. Its a pretty widespread policy

Advertisement