Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon problem in Ireland

Options
  • 19-02-2015 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

Hi folks,

There is a problem in Ireland related to Radon, see Irish Environmental Protection Agency website for more information.

Unfortunately Galway where I'm going to relocate to is in "red" zone i.e. over 20% of houses have level of Radon higher than the reference.

Radon is radioactive and significantly increases risks of lung cancer.

Please advise how do you all handle the problem.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

dalazarev wrote: »
    Hi folks,

There is a problem in Ireland related to Radon, see Irish Environmental Protection Agency website for more information.

Unfortunately Galway where I'm going to relocate to is in "red" zone i.e. over 20% of houses have level of Radon higher than the reference.

Radon is radioactive and significantly increases risks of lung cancer.

Please advise how do you all handle the problem.

Thanks!

with a radon sump and radon membrane built into all new houses or retro fitted to houses that have none

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or open the doors and windows periodontally and let the wind blow it away. It's more that the risk is easily quantified and preventable rather than it being a major health scare. If you live with a smoker then radon is the least of your problems.

http://www.epa.ie/radiation/radonmap

check how old the house is / are you on the ground floor / is there a lot of granite in the construction

Advertisement