Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Marshals ( Info needed )

Options
  • 19-02-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

How's it going lads, I'm quite a noob in the area of Marshalling and didn't really know who to go to other than my trusty fellow motorcyclists on boards.ie. Basically to put things short, a friend of mine is organising a cycle run from Annascaul, Co. Kerry to Leixlip, Co.Kildare in June in aid of several charities. The cycle run is almost finalised except due to the fact that they are in need of motorcycle marshals to do the run with them. My question is, ( excuse my ignorance ) can any joe-soap with a motorcycle who is confident enough at driving it (fitted with strobes and a loud horn) and a cycle marshal high-viz worn over their jacket, be appointed marshal for a run like this? Do you require a RoSPA? Do you require a certain ( cc ) motorcycle? Must you be a part of the Motorcycle Marshal Association? Again apologies for my ignorance in this area, to those out there who hold official accident prevention certification and do this sort of thing for a living, as I really haven't a clue, even what to ask. Any help would be very helpful to the cause, Kindest regards lads, Drive safe, Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think there is any legal requirement to be a marshal.I'd welcome correction but I have been lead car for a number of road races (Athletics) and never had to have any quals.
    Just don't act the prick, I saw some crazy marshalling for cycle races before and I didn't think it was safe at all.
    Riding at speed on the wrong side of the road etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't think there is any legal requirement to be a marshal.I'd welcome correction but I have been lead car for a number of road races (Athletics) and never had to have any quals.
    Just don't act the prick, I saw some crazy marshalling for cycle races before and I didn't think it was safe at all.
    Riding at speed on the wrong side of the road etc etc.

Completely understand you CJ, wouldn't want to be acting the maggot putting your own life aswell as others at risk for the sake of a cycle run ya know, Thanks for the reply, at least that's some of my questions answered!;)

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    Completely understand you CJ, wouldn't want to be acting the maggot putting your own life aswell as others at risk for the sake of a cycle run ya know, Thanks for the reply, at least that's some of my questions answered!;)
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0507/615814-man-killed-in-collision-in-co-donegal/
    Was actually this race that I saw the crazy marshalling at but down south not in Donegal.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0507/615814-man-killed-in-collision-in-co-donegal/
    Was actually this race that I saw the crazy marshalling at but down south not in Donegal.

I remember seeing that actually! Yeah you definitely wouldn't want to be acting the maggot on any of them runs... Ya could end up like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Part of the problem (reason) as i saw it was that the marshalls were blocking traffic from side roads while the cyclists went by*, then they would get back on the bike and have to get up to their next junction, there were a few motorbike marshalls. To get past the large number of cyclists they used the wrong side of the road and went as fast as I guess they felt they had to. I only joined the cycle after the unfortunate death, knowing what had happened, I was shocked how fast the motorbike marshalls went up the wrong side of the road at times. It wasn't all the time of course and they did a great job keeping the cyclists safe. Impossible without them.

Something to keep in mind is that you may need more than 1 marshall, or not if your numbers are low. Will you be blocking off side roads?

* It wasn't a race, more a group cycle so there wouldn't be many splintered groups of cyclists, just one long procession so to keep the group together, and they were cyclists of all abilities, it was safer to keep cars from crossing their path at junctions or worse, ending up in the middle of the cyclists going the same way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Unless you are a Garda you have no legal right to block or direct traffic. I've marshalled a couple of times in conjunction with a Garda motorbike and he would halt the traffic and then hand over to one of us. Probably pushing the boundaries of legality but acceptable.
    A "person in charge of animals" is also allowed to halt traffic. It may be possible, given the behaviour often displayed by groups of cyclists, to claim that you fit into this category ;)

Talk to the Garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Also, check your insuranve, its probable that this type of activity is excluded from a normal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

if you are in front of the cyclists make sure you leave a big enough gp between you and them. Ive seen where cyclists have nearly crashed into the back of moto marshalls.

I've done it a few times (also race bicycles, so see it from both sides of the fence) and if you dont act the tool and are aware of what's going on around you then you should be fine. If I was passing a group of cyclists i would normally bip bip bip the horn a couple of times to let them know that i was coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

How big is the group? Are they novices/experienced? Will it be split into groups of these.
    You will need more than 1 marshal. Numbers dependant.
    I have done a marshalled few events and found it got harder the longer the day went on mainly because of the levels of fitness of the cyclists. Based on the trek you are doing - It could get stretched out fairly easy but if the plan is to stick as a main group, it would help - obviously there are plans to stop for breaks. Regrouping would make life easier but you will always have some guys who want to push on and some who need a longer rest and there goes your group split again.

I would imagine most motorcyclists are not covered for marshalling - therefore would not be classed as one on the day. I Often classed as an outrider?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

brianomc wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind is that you may need more than 1 marshall, or not if your numbers are low. Will you be blocking off side roads?

...fwiw, I do a fair amount of cycle race marshalling on a regular basis - indeed my first event of 2015 is next week. There will be Garda traffic bikes + a few of us (not sure how many yet). You won't be blocking any roads unless a AGS tell you. But getting off and standing and advising traffic of oncoming hazard is more like it.

My bike is strobed (reminder; need to change 2...), front & rear, and I have removable signage on it (hi-viz) when in use. At the end of a race, I remove and pack it away.

1 marshall is never enough. I'm down for an event in April, and it's taking 8 bikes to do it.

There is no formal qualificiation that I know of, but I'm a RoSPA holder already, 'cos I ride the Blood Bike already.

I find the greater skills are low-speed rather than high-speed ones, and observation skills and use of mirrors. You literally spend as much time looking behind as ahead.

And even I've got caught out, and a rider in a peleton hit my parked bike (on other side of road) - they just have their head down an pedal - you can forget looking for 'vanishing points' with these guys.

Because I do so much of it, I tend to get the faster & longer groups to chaperone, and 160k is not unheard of. That's a long time at 30kph........as GBX says, you get tired. If the weather is ****, it's even worse. I did the Tour de Connemara 2 years ago and it was the wettest day I've ever spent on a bike. And it took me 90 minutes each way to even get to the start of the race.........you still have the trip home, afterwards, remember.

I bring 2 x pairs gloves, spare helmet (in top box), 2 x prs socks. And water/snack. I usually wear 3 layers: skins/fleece/leathers or swap one of them for rain gear over the leathers if it's bad enough.

I do it as a social thing, and know a lot of the cyclists by now, so it's a nice day out if all goes well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GBX wrote: »
    I would imagine most motorcyclists are not covered for marshalling - therefore would not be classed as one on the day. I Often classed as an outrider?

I don't see why not, as long as you're not getting paid for it it falls within 'social, domestic and pleasure' and you are riding on open (not closed) roads and subject to the Road Traffic Acts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Thanks for all of your replies guys, I'm a lot more informed with more advanced knowledge than of the little info I knew already. The cycle is called Leap on your bike, its happening end of June as far as I remember, big run, stopping in limerick for the night I think. I definitely wouldn't be confident enough to do it myself, I'm only motorcycling 7 months now and only drive a Suzuki Marauder 125. I just needed that information to tell the organizer of the event as he doesn't know too much about acquiring marshals, he asked myself to do it but I feel the job is more suited to a more experienced rider than myself. If any of you would be interested in doing the marshalling for the run, feel free to contact the lads via their website or Facebook page ' Leap on your bike ' I'm sure they would be more than delighted to hear from you. They are in need of a few so give them a shout if you're interested! In regards to the information you all have given me, thanks very much for giving such detailed information! I'm a lot more knowledgeable on the matter anyways! Thanks again lads you have all been great help. Safe riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

galwaytt wrote: »
    My bike is strobed (reminder; need to change 2...), front & rear, and I have removable signage on it (hi-viz) when in use. At the end of a race, I remove and pack it away.

Hi gtt, Could you recommend a supplier for strobes/hazards? Or say what worked well for you.
    I need to get a set and was thinking about the options: a small panel of leds or maybe pairs of individuals strobes; colour - white or amber,white at the front; positioned at each 'corner' or a single panel front and rear.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Strobe lights are illegal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Strobe lights are illegal.

...well AGS dont' have an issue with it, as it's used as a road safety measure.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...well AGS dont' have an issue with it, as it's used as a road safety measure.

Yep, have marshalled many a cycle event, strobes on my bikes has never been a problem, mostly because we don't act the twat and go up the outside of groups at 100mph etc.

KT10 wrote: »
    Yep, have marshalled many a cycle event, strobes on my bikes has never been a problem, mostly because we don't act the twat and go up the outside of groups at 100mph etc.

Lol - 100 ? mine wouldn't do that if I asked it anyway !!

..most of the day spent at 10mph more like :)

Ode To The Motorist

I saw this the other day and thought it may come in useful, it would be a bit of a spin but think of it as an adventure!
    http://www.brmc.org.uk/Telford_training.htm

Hi gtt, Could you recommend a supplier for strobes/hazards? Or say what worked well for you.
    I need to get a set and was thinking about the options: a small panel of leds or maybe pairs of individuals strobes; colour - white or amber,white at the front; positioned at each 'corner' or a single panel front and rear.
    Thanks.

Howya two wheels good, don't know if this info is any use to ya but I have a set fitted to the front of my bike, they serve mainly in my case as daytime running lights as with a bit of modification can be set to constant light but with the push of a button changed to quick strobe ( flashing one at a time in sequence )/ slow strobe ( two flashing at the same time )/ party mix ( mixture of the two ). I find them great as daytime running lights, have never needed them for use as strobes but they are quite bright. Bought them on the net for €10 off some chinese site, I think they're great, survived well in the bad weather ( so far anyways ) and can't fault them. They even include a little control box with a tiny led that tells you when the lights are turned on. They take very little power out of the battery and overall I think theyre great. Friend of mine also has a more specialized set fitted to his Valk and they are superb but are a bit more expensive at around €40 for the set, again, available on chinese sites online. I can send on links to the products if ya like :):rolleyes:

I saw this the other day and thought it may come in useful, it would be a bit of a spin but think of it as an adventure!
    http://www.brmc.org.uk/Telford_training.htm

That's not cycle road marshaling, that's static training.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement