Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.........rodneyr1981

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a bit of an absence we're going to kick off the "getting to know" series to bring us up to race season. As ever, please have someone lined up and ready handover to them on the Thursday.

Our first victim volunteer is rodneyr1981. :P Thanks for volunteering. Go easy on him folks :D

A couple of easy ones to get going.....

How long have you been involved in triathlon?
    What got you interested in triathlon?
    What's your sporting background?
    How do find balancing work, family & training?
    What has been your best race to date & why?
    Any aspirations to do the Rás?
    Oh yeah, where did "rodneyr1981" come from?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Are you married?
    Do you have kids?
    Crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
    Where you born in 1981?
    Worst thing that ever happened you in a race?
    Worst thing that you did in a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Cheers P.

How long have you been involved in triathlon? Year 4 now. The more i'm learning the more i realised i didn't know.
    What got you interested in triathlon? Needed something to keep me busy post rugby. Did my first race and got hooked.
    What's your sporting background? Football & hurling up until 21 then switched over to rugby up until 30/31.
    How do find balancing work, family & training? Alot better than before. had to adapt with kids etc. At the moment feel it's ok. More about sacrificing my free time than the family's. Getting in 10-12hrs/wk with busy job and 2 kids so can't complain.
    What has been your best race to date & why? Kinvara half marathon 2014. Turned up and expected sub 1.30. Hoped sub 1.28 and did 1.22. Nothing special by any means but gave me great confidence to kick on.
    Any aspirations to do the Rás? Not in the next few years. Enjoying what i'm doing now and still have way to much to learn.
    Oh yeah, where did "rodneyr1981" come from? Not sure really - was often called rodney and this was taken up, boring but just added YOB

Are you married? Sure am. 3 delightful years for her.
    Do you have kids? 2 boys. 3 & 6. Great criac at this age.
    Crunchy or smooth peanut butter? Crunchy every day
    Where you born in 1981? Yup
    Worst thing that ever happened you in a race? Might have to think about this and come back on it. Nothing sticks out.
    Worst thing that you did in a race? Nothing major. School boy errors like taking off laike a rabbit and blowing up or going on a break group when i was way out of depth. Again nothing major spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

so far whats your favorite race,
    Ideal place for a bike ride or run
    whats music is currently in your playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Do you have a long term plan for tri Rodney??

Any bucket list races??

Current bike (know you were looking at changing recently) and dream bike set up??

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    so far whats your favorite race,
    Ideal place for a bike ride or run
    whats music is currently in your playlist
    Fav race so far would prob be Mallorca 70.3 last year. Beautiful swim with a nice climb on bike. Made a family hol out of it which added to it.
    Enjoy mullaghmore sprint. Find it well run but may be because it was my first ever tri??
    Haven’t done much cycling abroad but lap of corrib on a nice sun morning is very enjoyable. Something I hope to change as the kids get older.
    Most recently listened music on playlist – I’d have to actually check. Sad!! Could be anything. I don’t listen to music when biking or running. Maybe something heavy for harder turbo sessions. My short commute to work is generally just radio.

joey100 wrote: »
    Do you have a long term plan for tri Rodney??

Any bucket list races??

Current bike (know you were looking at changing recently) and dream bike set up??
    Hi Joey,

Plan to go long in 2015. Austria/Sweden or Copenhagen. (Might just follow Pgibbo and the red where ever they go)However really enjoy the HIM's. Have 5 done but feel I’ve a lot more improvement to make in these. No long term plan as such. Once i'm enjoying what i'm doing i'll continue however may take a season out and focus on some bike racing.

Bucket list - would love the black t-shirt. Would love the mental challenge.

Current bike - changed from the Felt B2 to the Argon E-116. Has mainly been confined to the turbo but well happy so far from the few outdoor spins so far.

Hope your feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AndyC80

Rodney, was there any triathlete or workmate in particular that inspired you to get into triathlon?

AndyC80 wrote: »
    Rodney, was there any triathlete or workmate in particular that inspired you to get into triathlon?

Inspire......no

Do you feel your an inspiration??:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

What is your favourite part of training?
    Favourite discipline also?
    Is the better half into sport?
    Any role models in sport? (Tri, football, rugby). Who and Why?
    Coffee stop during a long bike or after or both?
    Crisps or chocolate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

You had a great season last year (only going by the races i know you did). Going back to Mallorca or Kinvara? What did you learn from those races last year - each being challenging in different ways.

Hi Needstraining,

What is your favourite part of training? Love the feeling of completing a good hard honest session.

Favourite discipline also? Bike, especially the long weekend training spins.

Is the better half into sport? During the summer does a bit of running - more for social aspect.

Any role models in sport? (Tri, football, rugby). Who and Why? Wouldn't have one in particular however being from a rugby background love listening to certain people like Paul O'C, O'Gara. Honest and expect nothing easy. Love their mental strength.

Coffee stop during a long bike or after or both? No stop. Some of group meet after but i generally head for home

Crisps or chocolate? Both! But treat nowadays

EC1000 wrote: »
    You had a great season last year (only going by the races i know you did). Going back to Mallorca or Kinvara? What did you learn from those races last year - each being challenging in different ways.
    Hi EC1000,

Mallorca no unfortunately. Family hols planned for end of year this time. Heading back to Kinvara alright. Kinvara last year gave me a lot more confidence in my limited ability. Going to target 79.59 but will be touch and go. Down a few Kg on this time last year so fingers crossed.
    Mallorca - learned I can't decent for sh*t. Tried to follow some German fella's line. Nearly ended up over a cliff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

What's your triathlon race plan this year?

How do you find the collinamuck spins?

You gonna do any Thursday night bike races? 5k race series?

Which would you prefer? Being able to swim like me run or like John G, leaving your other two at their current level??

What do you do to pass the working day between training sessions? (You've probably told me before)

what sport(s) would you really love to see a real interest and ability in and which mainstream sport (if any) would you prefer they didn't get involved in??

How many years will I need to be living out west before I'm no longer considered an outsider??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Someone give BTH a hug.....poor guy is feeling like an outsider :p

BTH wrote: »
    What's your triathlon race plan this year?

How do you find the collinamuck spins?

You gonna do any Thursday night bike races? 5k race series?

Which would you prefer? Being able to swim like me run or like John G, leaving your other two at their current level??

What do you do to pass the working day between training sessions? (You've probably told me before)

what sport(s) would you really love to see a real interest and ability in and which mainstream sport (if any) would you prefer they didn't get involved in??

How many years will I need to be living out west before I'm no longer considered an outsider??

First of all your an outsider. Full stop.

Plan is to get 2 HIM's in. Athlone and prob Lough cutra. Will do a few sprints. Toying with lost sheep.
    Enjoying the collinamuck spins. Some good lads that I bounce questions off. Try to train with better level than me so this group works for me.
    Yes will do some thur spins if it doesn't impact other training leading into races. Another mistake of last season. Will do 1 or 2 of the 5k races just to target a pb.
    Run like John. Prefer to be chasing than be chased.
    I assume your another question regards the kids? If so I'm not too confined to what they take up but would prefer it to be a team based sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sorry, yeah I was referring to the kids. I was in a bit of a daze when I posted them.

Cheers for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Rodney! :)

How many bikes do you own? Do they have names?
    When and how did you learn to swim?
    What is your favorite pool toy?
    Do you wear a watch when you swim?
    While on the bike, do you grab the water bottle with your right or left hand?
    How many miles a week do you run?
    Have you ever run a marathon? If so, which one(s) and what is your best time?
    Are you targeting an IM in 2015 (as stated on page one) or in 2016?
    Favorite flavor of ice cream? How many scoops? Bowl or cone? What kind of topping(s), if any, would you have?
    Have you any tattoos? If so, of what and where are they located?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Rodney! :)

How many bikes do you own? Just the 2 but love the suggested simple formula of correct # of bikes = n + 1. Simple but true.

Do they have names? No

When and how did you learn to swim? Still can't :-) remember my first Tri involved a 250m. Got into a fight with water fir that 250m. Nearly killed me. Got some lessons with tri club last year and doing same again this year. Prob area mad biggest gains but still not great.

What is your favorite pool toy? Armbands!! Prob pool bouy.

Do you wear a watch when you swim? Most of time now yes

While on the bike, do you grab the water bottle with your right or left hand? Right

How many miles a week do you run? 40 + km

Have you ever run a marathon? If so, which one(s) and what is your best time? Yes just the 1 Dublin few years back. 3.16 but looking back I would do very different next time.feel I could knock a good bit off that now. On my list of races to do again.would also love to do Boston.

Are you targeting an IM in 2015 (as stated on page one) or in 2016? 2016. Passport is stamped :-)
    Favorite flavor of ice cream? Choc
    How many scoops? 3
    Bowl or cone? Bowl
    What kind of topping(s), if any, would you have? Something crunchy
    Have you any tattoos? Nope If so, of what and where are they located?

Cheers Dory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why were you up at 0419?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Why were you up at 0419?

The 3 year old came in and kicked me out of my bed. He's a bit sick at moment so let him off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

You seem to be pretty competitive Rodney, when you do a full ironman will you be doing it with a time in mind or just doing it to get around??

How fast do you think you can go over half distance??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Morning or evening person?
    What mental tricks do you use when the going gets tough in a race?
    Glass half empty, or glass half full person?
    Toughest lesson you had to learn? (In life or tri?)
    Do you wear jewellery?
    What scares you?
    Who would be your ideal dinner date and why?
    Trisuit or two piece?

joey100 wrote: »
    You seem to be pretty competitive Rodney, when you do a full ironman will you be doing it with a time in mind or just doing it to get around??

How fast do you think you can go over half distance??
    Yes for full IM i'll be going with a time in mind. Don't plan on investing all that time and money without doing the best i can do. What my goal time will be i'll decide next year. No point in me plucking a time from the air as my target.
    I'd like to think i could go sub 4.30 on a decent course. I know that i have a lot to learn in all aspects. There is loads of room for improvement in a 3 disciplines as well as race prep, pacing, nutrition etc.
    I've just signed up with a coach this week to help structure my training. I seemed to peak before my main races last year and be fatigued race day so hoping a more structured approach will help this. Will also remove a lot of the guess work.
    Hope to go sub 4.40 in athlone HIM in July.

Oryx wrote: »
    Morning or evening person?
    What mental tricks do you use when the going gets tough in a race?
    Glass half empty, or glass half full person?
    Toughest lesson you had to learn? (In life or tri?)
    Do you wear jewellery?
    What scares you?
    Who would be your ideal dinner date and why?
    Trisuit or two piece?
    Hi Oryx,

Morning person big time. Not one for lie ins.
    Tricks - nothing major. Just try break things down be it get through next km etc.
    Would like to think i'm glass half full person.
    Lessons in Life - Without going into details. Put everything in perspective. Don't stress the small things.
    Jewellery - Nope even the wedding ring hasn't been put on much lately.
    Think my biggest fear would be something happening the kids or being helpless if something was to happen.
    Ideal dinner date - Mr EPO himself. Most won't agree but mentally he strived to be a winner. Don't get me wrong he cheated & sh*t on people but love to get inside his head.
    Two piece.

What's a typical training week like for you? I know that's now subject to change but what's the before & after looking like?
    Death row meal - all the trimmings?
    Who did you play rugby with and what position?
    What are your 5k, 8k & 10k PBs?
    Favourite eatery in Galway?
    Anyone with a target on their back this season or do you have a nemesis?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's a typical training week like for you? I know that's now subject to change but what's the before & after looking like?
    Death row meal - all the trimmings?
    Who did you play rugby with and what position?
    What are your 5k, 8k & 10k PBs?
    Favourite eatery in Galway?
    Anyone with a target on their back this season or do you have a nemesis?

Currently week would be along the lines of 3/4 morning swims - one being a coached session.
    Run 3 times a week. Track on tues, tempo 12k run and long run 18-20km on a fri. Sometimes get an extra short depending on Work etc.
    Bike- 2 turbo and 3.5/4 hr Sun spin.
    This could all change with with the start of coaching.
    Most of my rugby was played as a back rower. Played a bit in the centre.
    Love the Asian tea house.
    5k pb 17.21
    8k - never done one. Easy pb in the waiting
    10k pb 36.36
    I would be targeting 1 or 2 local lads in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Do you find the first or last step of a run the hardest?
    Do you prefer a large loop course or multiple smaller loops?
    Any bad falls off the bike?
    Do you prefer big and marketed races or small and local?
    When the weather is sh1te, do you head out on the road or for the turbo?

Podge83 wrote: »
    Do you find the first or last step of a run the hardest?
    Do you prefer a large loop course or multiple smaller loops?
    Any bad falls off the bike?
    Do you prefer big and marketed races or small and local?
    When the weather is sh1te, do you head out on the road or for the turbo?
    Hi podge,
    Last step.
    Loop versus loops. Depends. Running race 1 loop. Longer race such as HIM I'd prefer 2/3 loops
    No bad falls to date - touch wood. Have had a few close ones where I'm not sure how I didn't hit the tarmac.
    Big versus small races - think both have a place. Love being able to roll up to smaller races an hour before kick off but I've done a few I'M branded races and enjoy the occasion as apposed to just the race.
    Road every time - only thing I won't go out in is ice. Really struggle mentally with 2/3 hour turbo. My man cave is the shed out back so no tv etc to keep me occupied

• Advertisement

What are your swim PBs like for 50m, 100m, 200m & 400m?
    Do you do much strength and conditioning or stretching & foam rolling?
    What shoes do you run in?

Advertisement