Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serving someone notice after living here for 8 weeks?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

Hi myself and my girlfriend sublet a room in our apartment, by consent of the landlord.

The girl that moved in isn't working out. Comes home drunk 3/4 times a week at 5am. Banging doors, usually with 2/3 people.

On Monday @ 8am smelt smoke. Went downstairs kitchen was covered in smoke with the oven and grill left running. Where was she passed out around the toilet?

No lease was signed upon her moving in, what is the proper amount of notice to be given? Rent is paid by the month. She's paid the first months rent, and is late for the second months.

How long is a fair time to hold her deposit? A week after she moves out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

You decided to act as a landlord without checking out some of the most basic things?

Why would a week be a good length of time to hold on to a deposit? Do you know what a deposit is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

No I filled a vacant room like my landlord asked me to.

Why do I think a week is ok, well to get a meter reading for the esb, and wait for them to send me the bill?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Has she paid the second months rent? The entire deposit will be used up on owed rent if she hasn't.

Is she noted on your lease agreement?
    Did the overall rent change when she moved in..ie a new arrangement with the landlord?
    Who does she pay her rent to?

Has she paid the second months rent? The entire deposit will be used up on owed rent if she hasn't.

Is she noted on your lease agreement?
    Did the overall rent change when she moved in..ie a new arrangement with the landlord?
    Who does she pay her rent to?

She hasn't paid the second months rent yet, she said she'd be a week late with it. My girlfriend and I are the sole lease holders.

We've leaved here for two years. She has made no arrangement with the landlord. He just told us to fill the vacancy.

She pays the rent to us, we pay the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

no lease? politely show her the door, tell her what she did wrong... and let her go. retain the rent owed (time served only) and give deposit back as she hands u the keys. if you must get utilities, it cant be for much, estimate on low side and be done with her. change the locks if she leaves on bad terms or u think she made copies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

empacher wrote: »
    She hasn't paid the second months rent yet, she said she'd be a week late with it. My girlfriend and I are the sole lease holders.

We've leaved here for two years. She has made no arrangement with the landlord. He just told us to fill the vacancy.

She pays the rent to us, we pay the landlord.
    Something off here.

Day 1 of week one you pay rent plus deposit.
    Day 1 of week five second months rent
    Day 1 week 9 you're on the 3rd month.

How after 8 weeks is the second months rent "late". At this point the deposit is yours and you are due the next months rent soon.

Sorry that's my fault. Meant 5 weeks instead of 8. Typing on my phone and the screen doesn't let you see much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

empacher wrote: »
    She sounds like a licensee? If she is, give her a weeks notice. Cite the crap as opposed to the late rent as the reason.

Advertisement