Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a Builder ?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there

I am planning a 90m2 Extension and Planning is required.

Reading the latest Building regulations it appears to indicate that a 'Builder' must be assigned to the project. I was planning to manage the build myself and have identify all the specialized subcontractors.

Can anyone please confirm of a Builder is necessary ?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As I read the building control regs Yes, read around there are plenty of threads. But The only person who can confirm this is your assigned certifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

You need a builder. But that may change

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You also need an Assigned Certifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muganj

I can get an Assigned Certifier, he is my Engineer / Designer

I am a Chartered Engineer myself, but not in construction.

The problem is i wanted to Self direct, rather than pay a 'Builder' to self direct to the same sub contractors

Your an engineer, so the best advice I can give you is to read si9 2014 and understand your , the eng and the builders responsibilities

• Advertisement

Brian I have tried, but it is not clear. si9.ie is helpful but again somewhat ambiguous.

My impression is if my Assigned Certifier has confidence in the Contractors he will sign off on their work and if he does that appears to be sufficient.

But again it is not clear

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muganj wrote: »
    Brian I have tried, but it is not clear. si9.ie is helpful but again somewhat ambiguous.

My impression is if my Assigned Certifier has confidence in the Contractors he will sign off on their work and if he does that appears to be sufficient.

There must be one main contractor who signs the undertakings and certificates as "the builder"

this is the person the assigned certifier must be happy with.

If this is a novice self builder signing as "the builder", it would be reckless for an AC to accept....

Now that is clear !

Thank you Syd

I will act as the Builder, I will select Contractors my Assigned Certifier has confidence in and is prepare to sign off on.

That will work

Thank you

Now that is clear !

Thank you Syd

I will act as the Builder, I will select Contractors my Assigned Certifier has confidence in and is prepare to sign off on.

That will work

Thank you

it shouldnt, but probably will......

I will act as the Builder,
    i wish you the best of luck with your project, though I would caution that taking on the role as the main contractor means you should be Aware/Beware of its role and responsibilities

(paraphrasing here:)
    'I as a 'competent' builder I certify this building is constructed in compliance with the drawings & specification provided and with ... '

..building regs
    health & safety
    planning regs
    insurance
    etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The AC is only there to ensure that the work is in compliance with the building regs-not to sign off on the quality of the built works-as then he would be putting a warranty on the works.

Your builder is responsible for the work and he is also also responsible to ensure the works are in compliance with the the building regs-make sure he is up to speed-especially Part L. He must sign the acceptance of appointment form that goes in as part of the commencement and he must sign the completion form that gets uploaded to building control when the project is completed.

Materials and workmanship is part of the building regulations.

Assigned certifiers must check for these also.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Materials and workmanship is part of the building regulations.

Assigned certifiers must check for these also.

Within reason considering the ACs very limited presence on site

Rabbo wrote: »
    Within reason considering the ACs very limited presence on site

The ac's presence on site is supposed to be adequate to check for all regulations. It's not scalable.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I don't believe that the AC can be held responsible for all workmanship on site. They can't, for example, ensure that all wall ties are free from mortar droppings or are bedded correctly. As long as the AC excercises reasonable skill, care and diligence in their inspections, they can't reasonably be held accountable for every aspect of a build

That would be a reasonable view.

However there is nothing reasonable about SI 9. There is no qualifications in any of the certificates to state "in so far as practical or reasonable".

In fact the certificates by their nature mean that the signee is "certain" that every aspect had been complied with.

This has all already been confirmed by legal opinion, and until a case is tested in the courts there is no way of knowing what is to be considered "reasonable and practical".... so again I stress..... The assigned certifier signs a certificate that they are certain that every aspect of the build complies with building regulations, including materials and workmanship. That means measuring the plumbness of the block work, the plane of the plasterwork, the strength of the protective glazing, everything that is covered by a relevant British standard.

And just another off the top of my head. ... the AC can be held accountable of the under ground drainage pipes used at the 2mm pvc skin type (common in all hardware stores) and not the 2.6mm type certified for use.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

Hi there

I am planning a 90m2 Extension and Planning is required.

Reading the latest Building regulations it appears to indicate that a 'Builder' must be assigned to the project. I was planning to manage the build myself and have identify all the specialized subcontractors.

Can anyone please confirm of a Builder is necessary ?

Thank you

I've never been so amazed at all the confusion surrounding this issue. Once the AC accepts you can self direct and you get your own public liability insurance there is no issue.

Deano7 wrote: »
    I've never been so amazed at all the confusion surrounding this issue. Once the AC accepts you can self direct and you get your own public liability insurance there is no issue.

' I bought this building from x and now have found there is rising damp, and the roof timbers are rotting. who was the builder? Legally the 'responsible' builder?

Lot more to this than the certifer agreeing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198631

Advertisement