Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I save my LC?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So basically I've coasted through school and never really studied. I've done very little to no study in 5th/6th year but I've maintained the illusion that I'm a good student. I need about 510-520 for my first choice course. My mocks start on Monday and will end on the 6th of March. Long story short, can I salvage my leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Omnicron wrote: »
    So basically I've coasted through school and never really studied. I've done very little to no study in 5th/6th year but I've maintained the illusion that I'm a good student. I need about 510-520 for my first choice course. My mocks start on Monday and will end on the 6th of March. Long story short, can I salvage my leaving cert?

I would say yes. It would be easier to read into your situation if you told us your subjects and skills, but, once you get A1 notes written out, it's all about reproducing them in the exam. Although some subjects are about continuous improvement such as languages which comes with time rather than study.

But, take for example, Economics. I'm writing my leaving cert notes now as my mocks approach. It's not what I have learned over the two years that will give me the A1, it's about writing notes that will cover every aspect that can come up. Obviously, there is some logical thinking involved, but even still, you can get away with them most times.

However if you find yourself struggling at maths or English, you can't write great notes in them and expect an A1. They require innate talent and hard work over a long period.

If you study smartly for the next whatever months, then it's very much possible, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Omnicron wrote: »

That depends on how much work you did when you were coasting and how much information you absorbed when you were coasting along. Coasting is very subjective, you could be getting C/D grades when you are capable of A/B grades.

On the other hand your definition of coasting could mean that you are getting solid B grades with little effort and with more work you could pull those up to As.

There are loads of threads on here every year asking the exact same thing. The answer is no one here knows you so nobody knows the answer but you.

You will be busy the next few weeks with your mocks. Focus on what you need to do for those each night. You will be tired at the end of them. However you have a few days before the end of the midterm where you could start doing some work. Not in a haphazard, panicky way. You can't learn everything for the mocks in four days. Pick a couple of topics each day, go back over what you learned in class. Make out some notes, try some past exam questions and see what you know/understand and find out what you need to improve on.

When your mocks are over, then get down to work properly and make an improvement.

Advertisement