Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB Report - Person with same name and DOB

Options
  • 18-02-2015 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a mad one here. My other half and I are applying for a mortgage at the moment. Mortgage advisor rang me this evening saying that the underwriters are querying if I have any loans outstanding as there is a Super_Sonic with the same date of birth with personal loans outstanding, but the addresses are different. So they want me to obtain an ICB report on myself! In fairness the mortgage advisor explains to the central office that given our relatively large deposits it is highly unlikely we would have any issues.

Thing is my first name and surname are very common, they are loads of men with my full name on Facebook from Ireland. The ICB report will only check the addresses I give them and the report is not linked to a PPS number, photo identity or any other unique information.

In effect I can only prove who I am and where I live or have lived, not who I'm not or where I haven't lived.

Anyway I have applied for the ICB report regardless and am sending the bank copies of my passport, driver's licence, PPS number etc. But without knowing more about this other guy I can't do much more. It's all a little Irish really.

Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Sounds like someone was just born on the same day as you with same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case. Thing is how do I prove that the guy that has the loans outstanding is not me, which is what the bank is querying.

I have suggested that my bank use my photo ID and see if the lending institutions compare it to the copies of the IDs they have on record. Unless the loans predate the CJA stipulations for photo id it might be possible. Although whether the lending institutions can even make that comparison legally, I'm not sure.

I might ask my bank for the results of the ICB query and follow it up myself, approach the lending banks and ask for statements of "my accounts". There might be something then that might prove we're two different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It's a pain - someone the FBI apparently would like to chat to has the same name & DOB as I do, and travel to the US has been a pain for many years since I always had to wait to be cleared by the INS guy. I've gotten a visa now, but even so, they still have to check the details but it's must faster.

Maybe I should just push back on the bank and ask them to prove I took out those loans? After all I can't prove I didn't, particularly without having all the details related to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The chance of two randomly selected people having the same birthday is less than 1 in 23. (Less than, because that calculation assumes that births are randomly distributed over the year, but they're not.)

This means it's not all that unlikely a thing to happen when you have a common name.

How you prove it's not you - I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

The chance of two randomly selected people having the same birthday is less than 1 in 23. (Less than, because that calculation assumes that births are randomly distributed over the year, but they're not.)

This means it's not all that unlikely a thing to happen when you have a common name.

How you prove it's not you - I have no idea.

No. The odds of any group of 23 people containing two or more people with the same birthday is about evens. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

I've probably now got this wrong myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If they declibe a mortgage can you make a freedom of information requested for your records that might give you something to work off you could tell them that unless they can prove it is you you will make a complaint to the financial ombudsman. Basically cause enough fuss that they will dig a bit deeper. Who do you bank with can you get a mortgage with them

It's with Ulster Bank, we have several accounts with them.

I'll see how they respond to the email I sent this evening. I might ask them to prove to me that I took out those loans, get my signatures and photo id, I have no details on the loans so I have nothing I can look up, don't even know what lender they are with.

After that I guess I could go heavy and threaten to make complaints, legal action etc. But that would just drag everything into a prolonged mess.

Even if this does get sorted out properly I might make a complaint against the ICB, seems that they don't have enough information to uniquely identify people, this scenario must have cropped up before.

Can't get any information from the bank, in not allowed talk to the under writers so we can sort this out.

For the time being I'm waiting on my ICB report. I have also submitted a formal complaint against the banks under writers asking me to be put in direct communications with them and for them to provide proof of these loans including the signatures and photo identifications used to take out the loans. If I had this I could easily prove its not me. Shooting in the dark at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could you ask the ICB to amend your file to add your middle name to it and then ask the banks to check that?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Could you ask the ICB to amend your file to add your middle name to it and then ask the banks to check that?

True, that might be a possibility. I'll ask them. Thanks.

The complaints department contacted me on Friday evening, about the complaint I lodged on Thursday.

They seemed sound enough. Explained we're anxious about the issue, that we're thinking of considering other banks and don't want a decline with them to cause issues in us dealing with other lenders, but we hope things don't come to that. He asked a few more details and asked a few more questions.

I then said I'm willing to cooperate fully but want the underwriters to cooperate too and provide proof of these loans along with the signatures and photo ids used to obtain them.

He said that a more detailed search would be done with the ICB and they would contact me. Hopefully I should have my report early next week and after submitting a copy of that I can't do anymore but to push back on them and get them to supply information.

Fingers crossed it can be resolved in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe I should just push back on the bank and ask them to prove I took out those loans?
    They'll just decline the loan. There is no obligation to give your a loan.
    No. The odds of any group of 23 people containing two or more people with the same birthday is about evens. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

I've probably now got this wrong myself.
    That is birthday, not date of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your middle name is a good suggestion. Apparently in the UK you can't change your credit rating. But you can put info to clarify issues on it. So when a bank looks at your credit report. They can see reasons for a few mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Following on from spaceHopper's comment. In the event that the ICB report comes back incorrect is it possible to get a FOI request on the data used by the ICB to generate it? Obviously if the data on you is incorrect they are obliged to correct it.

Victor wrote: »
    They'll just decline the loan. There is no obligation to give your a loan.

Very true, there is just no way I can prove they are not my loans without them providing some of the information. The addresses are different to mine and that is all I have to go on.

Just an awful sting to be refused on the grounds of someone else's loans.

I will work with them and have sent on scans of my identity, PPS number etc. But I'm very limited in what I can do really, that's what makes it so frustrating.

If they do decline it will make the house purchase impossible.

I'm sure when they go through things in more details things will become clearer and sense will prevail.

Our mortgage advisor told them that she's very confused as to why we would have personal loans out when we have over 165k on deposit.

That and the fact I'm being very clear and definite, stating I'm certain if they can get the signatures and photo id to obtain the loans that I can prove it's not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Why is it "a little Irish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

percy212 wrote: »
    Why is it "a little Irish".

Normally it is assumed that saying it is "a little Irish" means a little stupid. Its interesting that an Irish person ( I presume he is Irish) would choose these words.

A case of Stockholm syndrome perhaps.

Yeah, I am Irish, it's just a phrase, no offence meant.

I described it that way as it seems a little silly to use a name and DOB as a compound key and guarantee a unique result in terms of data. A much better key if it is available is to use something like a PPS number which is much more likely, almost certainly barring a major mistake, to be unique.

But that's dragging things a bit off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Our mortgage advisor told them that she's very confused as to why we would have personal loans out when we have over 165k on deposit.
    Maybe they fear one is funding the other?

Victor wrote: »
    Maybe they fear one is funding the other?

Maybe so. If that is the case at least we can show evidence of consistent savings and maybe see if I can get historical statements of accounts. Might be worth asking if that is the case.

ICB report came back as expected and normal.

Underwriters say that it's good but when they look up the ICB they can still see these loans.

They want me to get the ICB to say I only have the credit card and mortgage. ICB said they stand over the report and Ulster Bank should contact them directly.

At this stage it's been escalated to Area Manager level.

Absolutely exhausted by this process by now, been at it for nearly a month, going applying elsewhere next week.

Branch manager will ring me in the morning with an update from his manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are entitled to have incorrect information about you corrected.

If ICB are standing over the report I fear you will have to go to the Data Protection Commissioner and seek an order to have the information corrected. You should formally ask them to correct the information as a first step. See 2.15 of https://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=&fn=/documents/FAQ2012/Access.htm#13

You are entitled to have incorrect information about you corrected.

If ICB are standing over the report I fear you will have to go to the Data Protection Commissioner and seek an order to have the information corrected. You should formally ask them to correct the information as a first step. See 2.15 of https://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=&fn=/documents/FAQ2012/Access.htm#13

True, might suggest this tomorrow when talking to the branch manager. Thanks.

We're still hoping that common sense will prevail, the branch manager himself said that common sense was lacking in all this when speaking about the underwriters.

Giving the hard figures involved it's should be a low risk mortgage in the eyes of the bank so figures crossed still. Or maybe I'm just being naive. :-)

Unless the underwriters themselves actually know you well, I cannot see how they can proceed without being able to account for all the loans on the ICB record or failing that getting an 'all clear' of some sort from ICB.

I would anticipate that the manager will be unwilling to intercede with ICB on your behalf. You will have to do it yourself, or instruct a professional to do so on your behalf.

From the facts you describe, I think you are in an extremely serious situation and this will not resolve itself easily.

I really think you will have to talk to ICB and the data protection commissioner about this yourself, or get a professional to do so (which might be worth considering, because the situation is extremely serious).

I can't see any chance of the underwriters proceeding if you can't account for all the loans that appear in the ICB record.

I'm sending off a scan of my passport and my signature along with a detailed letter to the ICB today which should fingers crossed finally sorry it. They will cross check those with the id and sig the lending institution has on record for those loans.

The loans aren't in my report as the report is specific to addresses, so I've no details on them.

Still waiting to head back from the Head of Lending in the bank to see if they can give approval, not hopeful, reckon I need to do the above first.

Happy days, bank approved the mortgage this morning!

Will still be working with the ICB to sort this out for the future but the bank are happy to give the go ahead. Delighted to be over it, was getting to be a major headache. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, now the pressure is off keep at this and get it resolved so it doesn't bite you again.

Advertisement