Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i combat the boredom?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Do u guys know of any little water proof ear bud radios, or any other ways to combat the boredom of doing nothing but lengths non stop for an hour?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dont do lengths non stop for an hour. Do timed intervals. Watch the clock. Take timed breaks. Change stroke. Improve your stroke. You wont get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Such things do exist, look up amazon and you should find quite a few different types quite easily.

I wouldn't recommend them, however. If you are distracted by music/podcast or some such you won't be fully focusing on your stroke and pace, which will mean your swimming suffers.

As Oryx said mix it up with various sets of different lengths, time, pace, stroke etc. If you are fully focused on those aspects then the time flies I find. There's a lot to be thinking about whilst swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

What Oryx said plus toys - pullbuoys (addictive), paddles, fins, snorkels, bands (ok not bands).

I suspect people who are distracted by earphones tend to end up being the subject of threads on lane etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jrby

i'm usually trying not to drown, that fights off the boredom....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

Join a Masters or Triathlon group especially if they are faster than yourself. Your session will be over before you know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Pyramids are great for mental resilience.

500m
    1 minute rest
    400m
    1 minute rest
    300m
    1 minute rest
    200m
    1 minute rest
    100m

Is an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I have a Finis Neptune....

Finis.jpg

....and love it. I've about 2 hours of music on it and I'm adding more all the time.

I find it really alleviates the boredom on long swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darthschracker

Nice one all good ideas guys thanks, will start doing intervals i think. Will also help with cramping i reckon.

Cool Jawgap looks kind of like what im looking for will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Lovely swim today ☺
    200 warm up
    6*50 drills (paddles, pull buoy, fist) @10s
    Pyramid
    500 @35s
    400 @30s
    300 @25s
    200 @20s
    100 @15 s
    6*50 drills