Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Subject Choice

Options
  • 18-02-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

I'm a TY student who has to choose her Leaving Cert. subjects by March 6th :( . I have a rough idea of what subjects I want to study, but I would be so grateful if people who studied/are currently studying the subject(s) at Leaving Cert. level could give me their opinion on the subject(s).

Economics
    Music
    History
    (Accounting)

A modern European language is compulsory in our school so I will be studying French also. Accounting would be my fourth choice subject in case I don't get one of my top three choices.

I detested Science at Junior Cert. and- after reading about different Science courses in college prospectuses- I can definitely rule out studying Science at third level. For that reason, I have decided not to take a Science subject at Leaving Cert.

In case it makes any difference, my aim is to study either Law and Business or Law and French in college.

Thank you in advance to those who reply! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I do Music and History for the LC so I can only help you with those subjects.

I assume you did Music for the JC? I think that LC Music is easier to do better in than JC Music. The practical is 50% and you probably are at a good standard by 6th Year. Its a nice subject to study, a short course and its not all theory and any theory is pretty basic. It's a nice break from heavy academic subjects yet very interesting and enjoyable. I recommend it to anyone who has a good performing standard.

I am bias with History, I despise the subject. I loved it for the JC but it is on a whole new level for the LC. In the mocks, I had to write 22 A4 pages in 2Hrs50mins just to get the essays completed, not even at a good standard. I find it interesting but I don't like essay writing and my teacher just reads the book so it is awfully boring. For what you want to do, it would be a very good. It would help with critical and analytical thinking when reading a text. The only enjoyable aspect for me is the RSR, I am finalising mine now. I only like it because I got to pick an aspect I enjoyed.

It is up to you, there is only so much I can tell you. I hope I was somewhat helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Troxck wrote: »
    I do Music and History for the LC so I can only help you with those subjects.

I assume you did Music for the JC? I think that LC Music is easier to do better in than JC Music. The practical is 50% and you probably are at a good standard by 6th Year. Its a nice subject to study, a short course and its not all theory and any theory is pretty basic. It's a nice break from heavy academic subjects yet very interesting and enjoyable. I recommend it to anyone who has a good performing standard.

I am bias with History, I despise the subject. I loved it for the JC but it is on a whole new level for the LC. In the mocks, I had to write 22 A4 pages in 2Hrs50mins just to get the essays completed, not even at a good standard. I find it interesting but I don't like essay writing and my teacher just reads the book so it is awfully boring. For what you want to do, it would be a very good. It would help with critical and analytical thinking when reading a text. The only enjoyable aspect for me is the RSR, I am finalising mine now. I only like it because I got to pick an aspect I enjoyed.

It is up to you, there is only so much I can tell you. I hope I was somewhat helpful.

Thank you so much for the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patrickmulvey

Hey I'm in sixth year right now.
    I don't study history but I have four friends that do and they are finding the standard of exams hard (ie 22 pages plus).
    I do however study economics, I picked it up at the start of fifth year and love the subject. It's split into two sections micro and macro, the exam has eight questions four of which you have to answer and four of which are definitely going to be micro if not five questions sometimes. (micro being the more in depth and definitive section. Well macro is more topical and theory based.) if you are studying business at leaving cert I would strongly consider economics because you will cover yourself for two questions in the long questions of business (namely question two and three on the paper or section six and seven on the course.) They are over covered in economics books and revision books and thus really set you up for what could be half your business long questions. Staying on this point also keep in mind you should definitely finish economics in time for mocks well it's less likely you will have covered section six and seven in time for mocks in business thus doing economics keeps your option open for business mocks.
    As for accounting I can't help much as I don't do it. I have a friend says it's quite predictable just hard to remember all of 17 formula.
    Best of luck with what ever ya pick
    PaddyM

Hey I'm in sixth year right now.
    I don't study history but I have four friends that do and they are finding the standard of exams hard (ie 22 pages plus).
    I do however study economics, I picked it up at the start of fifth year and love the subject. It's split into two sections micro and macro, the exam has eight questions four of which you have to answer and four of which are definitely going to be micro if not five questions sometimes. (micro being the more in depth and definitive section. Well macro is more topical and theory based.) if you are studying business at leaving cert I would strongly consider economics because you will cover yourself for two questions in the long questions of business (namely question two and three on the paper or section six and seven on the course.) They are over covered in economics books and revision books and thus really set you up for what could be half your business long questions. Staying on this point also keep in mind you should definitely finish economics in time for mocks well it's less likely you will have covered section six and seven in time for mocks in business thus doing economics keeps your option open for business mocks.
    As for accounting I can't help much as I don't do it. I have a friend says it's quite predictable just hard to remember all of 17 formula.
    Best of luck with what ever ya pick
    PaddyM

Thanks so much for your advice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I did music for Leaving Cert, but to be honest, I'd only advise it to people who've either a) done it for Junior Cert and found it very doable or b) have a background in music from taking piano/violin lessons to a high standard. If both of these apply to you, then you'd find an A grade in music very much within your reach, but I definitely would avoid it at all costs if it's something you want to pick up from scratch, solely because there's points more easily obtained in a different subject. I haven't done the other subjects but I had friends who did history and they all said you had to learn to write an essay fast - twice as fast than for English - if you wanted to get your marks. The whole paper is essays, essays, essays, so if you feel you couldn't learn this skill in the space of 18 months, realistically, it mightn't be the best choice for you. From what I hear, accounting seems to be harder than economics, but I didn't venture near business subjects, so don't take that for granted :P

My advice for picking subjects for the Leaving is to play your strengths, what you feel you'd be good at/enjoy. If you have an idea of what courses you'd like to do, have a look at a few and see if there's any subject requirements, e.g. science/engineering/medical courses mostly require at least one lab science subject. You've said that you hate science, so this probably won't be a hindrance to you, (most other requirements are for certain grades in mandatory subjects or languages, so no worries) but it would do no harm to check before you pick subjects. Good luck with it! :)

• Advertisement

I did music for Leaving Cert, but to be honest, I'd only advise it to people who've either a) done it for Junior Cert and found it very doable or b) have a background in music from taking piano/violin lessons to a high standard. If both of these apply to you, then you'd find an A grade in music very much within your reach, but I definitely would avoid it at all costs if it's something you want to pick up from scratch, solely because there's points more easily obtained in a different subject. I haven't done the other subjects but I had friends who did history and they all said you had to learn to write an essay fast - twice as fast than for English - if you wanted to get your marks. The whole paper is essays, essays, essays, so if you feel you couldn't learn this skill in the space of 18 months, realistically, it mightn't be the best choice for you. From what I hear, accounting seems to be harder than economics, but I didn't venture near business subjects, so don't take that for granted :P

My advice for picking subjects for the Leaving is to play your strengths, what you feel you'd be good at/enjoy. If you have an idea of what courses you'd like to do, have a look at a few and see if there's any subject requirements, e.g. science/engineering/medical courses mostly require at least one lab science subject. You've said that you hate science, so this probably won't be a hindrance to you, (most other requirements are for certain grades in mandatory subjects or languages, so no worries) but it would do no harm to check before you pick subjects. Good luck with it! :)

Thanks so much for replying! :) I've been playing piano for 11 years and I got an A in Junior Cert. Music so I'm hoping I should be capable of an A at Leaving Cert.

I have no intention of ever doing anything Science-related so I don't want to waste my time doing a Science subject when I could be doing something I enjoy more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Thanks so much for replying! :) I've been playing piano for 11 years and I got an A in Junior Cert. Music so I'm hoping I should be capable of an A at Leaving Cert.

I have no intention of ever doing anything Science-related so I don't want to waste my time doing a Science subject when I could be doing something I enjoy more. :)

Excellent, by all means pick music if you'd like to, you'd be at a decent advantage! There's still study involved, but if you've a genuine interest in music you'll find it easy to learn because you've got the motivation. Good luck with whatever subject you pick, I'm sure you'll do fine with whichever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

If you are willing to work hard and have a logical mind, i would definitely recommend accounting. The questions are very repetitive so its not as hard as some other subjects eg. Economics to get an A1. Obviously if you aren't great at thinking logically (usually people who are good at maths or physics are, but others are too) then other subjects like economics would be a better choice. I don't do economics but my older brother who's in first year in college did and really liked it and found it very manageable with the shortness of the course. :)

user53 wrote: »
    If you are willing to work hard and have a logical mind, i would definitely recommend accounting. The questions are very repetitive so its not as hard as some other subjects eg. Economics to get an A1. Obviously if you aren't great at thinking logically (usually people who are good at maths or physics are, but others are too) then other subjects like economics would be a better choice. I don't do economics but my older brother who's in first year in college did and really liked it and found it very manageable with the shortness of the course. :)

My main problem is that I really liked and understood both Accounting and Economics at Junior Cert but someone told me that Economics would tie in better with what I want to do in college.

At this stage, it's really a toss-up between History and Accounting- I will have to let the time-table decide for me I guess. :D

Advertisement