Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bjj Flexibility

Options
  • 18-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good stretching routine for bjj that I could do during the week after gym session,
    I really need to improve my hip flexibility and have time after weight sessions
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was only looking at this on YouTube the other day, it looks good and is very hip-focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

These aren't BJJ specific, but for general mobility and injury prevention you might want to check out Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 and Simple 6.

If you search through Kelly Starret's Mobility Workout of the Day (MWOD) videos on youtube there are some good ones, but they are hidden among a lot of fluff. The early ones where he talks about spending a few minutes each day in a deep squat and stuff like that are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks folks
    Im only back training a few weeks after 6 years off the mats and I realise my flexibility is something I really could work on
    At the moment with a lack of it, its like im really losing out on using my legs for both defence and attack ,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd recommend the Defranco stuff above, and also MobilityWOD. Some great stuff in the latter, but not BJJ or Martial arts specific.
    There's 100s of free mobilityWOD videos. Its a broad topic. So it can be hard to distinguish which videos are good for general maintenance, and which are geared towards rehabing an issue, like say patellar tendonitis.

But imo, the following is a good starting point.
    This was the starting point for my current mobility routine. There's no way I can get through this in one go obviously. I take 1 to 3 positions per day, spend a while getting stuck into the position. Sometimes this means, 30 mins of Pigeon pose in front of the TV. When I get through the list, I start again. I don't nesserially have an order, and I do some positions more than other. The list is more so I can track with areas I haven't done in a while.

Lower Body

Upper Body

You'll have to root around MobilityWod, and the internet in general to explain each in more detail. To make that a bit easier.

Here's a the list. It's my no means perfect. Delete and add to it as you feel like, to make it work for you.

Basic Mobility List
    Lower Body
    Lateral Hip Distrction
    Hip Flexor Lunge
    Pigeon Pose
    Couch Stretch
    Banded Hip Capsule
    Front foot raised Lunge
    Raised Hamstring Stretch
    Calf Stretch
    Lying Wall Squat
    Lacross Ball Smash

Upper Body
    Double Ball T-Spine
    Single Rib Tack
    Banded Overhead
    Internal Rotation
    Front Rack Band
    Partner Bully Stretch
    Banded Bully Stretch
    Shoulder Distraction

Pigeon Pose
    Hero pose
    Butterfly pose
    Straddle Splits

(the alast 4 are yoga positions that I added)

Advertisement