Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smirnoff Vodka Froze-Is it counterfit?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a Smirnoff Vodka 70cl (red banner, 37.5%) from Aldi 2 days ago, and I have been keeping it in my freezer ever since. I went to open the bottle and realised that it was nearly frozen solid, I'd estimate about 10% of the contents of the bottle were liquid, the rest solid, however it is melting rather quickly. After a google search I discovered that vodka should only freeze at -23 degrees Celsius. Can anyone be able to give me a reasonable explanation for this, I have put smaller quantities of Smirnoff vodka in my freezer previously (naggin) and it never froze. It is definitely a Smirnoff bottle, would it be possible that perhaps shop name above is selling counterfit vodka/is the vodka safe to drink?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

-23 degrees is generally the temperature in your freezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Thank you, but can I ask are you sure about that may I ask, i couldnt find the temperature control on the freezer but I did heck online about freezer temperatures and they are generally kept at between -12 and -18 degrees, and I have kept vodka in my freezer before (same brand), which didnt freeze....

I don't know, it depends on your freezer. 23 is the optimum because the faster you freeze food the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is say that there is no chance that Aldi (or any other major supermarket chain) would buy or sell counterfeit products of any description.

-23° wouldn't be crazy cold for domestic freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Freezing temperature should be closer to -21 (-23 is for pure ethanol water mix at 40%)

Straight from wikipedia regarding freezer temperature:
    Freezer units are used in households and in industry and commerce. Food stored at or below −18 °C (0 °F) is safe indefinitely.[8] Most household freezers maintain temperatures from −23 to −18 °C (−9 to 0 °F), although some freezer-only units can achieve −34 °C (−29 °F) and lower. Refrigerators generally do not achieve lower than −23 °C (−9 °F), since the same coolant loop serves both compartments: Lowering the freezer compartment temperature excessively causes difficulties in maintaining above-freezing temperature in the refrigerator compartment. Domestic freezers can be included as a separate compartment in a refrigerator, or can be a separate appliance. Domestic freezers are generally upright units resembling refrigerators or chests (upright units laid on their backs). Many modern upright freezers come with an ice dispenser built into their door. Some upscale models include thermostat displays and controls, and flat-screen televisions have even been incorporated.

So highly possible and plausible that the vodka froze.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Don't know about it being fake or not but vodka has never froze on me before but I have had buddies that it has froze on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most normal freezers will be -18C. I have had captain morgans go slushy, it is 35%.

I have never had smirnoff or other spirits that I were certain were 37.5% or above go slushy. I have had numerous bottles go slushy but I am 99.9% certain they were all watered down by thieving housemates.
    Is say that there is no chance that Aldi (or any other major supermarket chain) would buy or sell counterfeit products of any description.
    My friend got a dodgy smirnoff in a a well known chain. I can only think that a customer returned a dodgy one, or an employee switched it.

Yet another reason to avoid overrpriced smirnoff red, its usually only popular brands that are faked. But in this case I would suspect watering down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

rubadub wrote: »
    Most normal freezers will be -18C. I have had captain morgans go slushy, it is 35%.

I have never had smirnoff or other spirits that I were certain were 37.5% or above go slushy. I have had numerous bottles go slushy but I am 99.9% certain they were all watered down by thieving housemates.

My friend got a dodgy smirnoff in a a well known chain. I can only think that a customer returned a dodgy one, or an employee switched it.

Yet another reason to avoid overrpriced smirnoff red, its usually only popular brands that are faked. But in this case I would suspect watering down.

Miele fridge freezer for the UK market shows freezer range from -14 to -24, so quite possible the OPs is at the lower end of that scale.

I'd find that quite a bit more likely than a dodgy product.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old freezers with perished seals can be far colder at the back, if the thermostat is in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

More importantly, why freeze Vodka in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

There was an article on the Journal before about how to spot counterfeit Smirnoff.

Here it is:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/smirnoff-vodka-counterfeit-1228956-Dec2013/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

yknaa wrote: »

Cos if yer drinking the alcohol while the water is frozen then its more potent...

carefull though i've heard of people dying from this practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

yknaa wrote: »

Lets say you want ice cold vodka but dont want to put ice in it because the ice will melt leaving you with cold, sludgy clear white wine. Vodka 40% or more wont freeze in conventional household freezers, so stick it in the freezer. Or on the window sill if you live in Vladivostok.

Advertisement