Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Kitchen Supplier

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got a new kitchen fitted. It's a small kitchen in a 2 bed flat so i wanted to maximise space. I sent the kitchen designer/carpenter links to two products from Ikea which were essential to the kitchen, a corner carousel and oversink drainer and emphasised these had to be able to fit. He said they'd fit no worries. Then on the day, the fitter said they were too big and nothing could be done. No apology whatsoever. I was fuming.

I'd bought a round sink with no draining board as the oversink drainer was meant for this and so now I've no draining space. On the day the kitchen designer (company owner) sent me on a link on amazon from Italy of an oversink drainer. I bought this, it arrived and it is of low quality steel which can be bent with your hands without any real stress. I'm going to return this and look elsewhere. So he let me down bad again!

To cut a long story short this guy has given me the total run around, I blame him for assuring me the ikea units would fit when they didn't and then telling me to buy a crap product online. I should note that the fitting of the two ikea products was included in his quote. I currently still owe him 200e and was wondering if I am within my rights to hold onto this until I finally have a drainer installed by him that is fit for purpose. As things stand I will already have to pay out on returning the drainer to Italy. And find a more expensive drainer somewhere eventhough the ikea one was very heavy duty and only 35e.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This all sounds strange. Why did you buy the sinks? Surely the supplier would have needed to get them while designing the kitchen so that measurements would be right? Any time we've gotten a kitchen, we went along to the designer and he had a catalogue of sinks/taps/boads etc and we picked the ones we wanted. If he didn't have them and you pointed out which one you wanted in ikea, wouldn't he have needed to get them before he started the kitchen production? Did he actually come out to measure the space or did you supply measurements? And if you bought the sink on line, unfortunately as the purchaser it was your responcilbility to check the spec.

Did you sign off on drawings of the kitchen including the features you wanted when agreeing the price ang giving him the go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

davo10 wrote: »
    This all sounds strange. Why did you buy the sinks? Surely the supplier would have needed to get them while designing the kitchen so that measurements would be right? Any time we've gotten a kitchen, we went along to the designer and he had a catalogue of sinks/taps/boads etc and we picked the ones we wanted. If he didn't have them and you pointed out which one you wanted in ikea, wouldn't he have needed to get them before he started the kitchen production? Did he actually come out to measure the space or did you supply measurements? And if you bought the sink on line, unfortunately as the purchaser it was your responcilbility to check the spec.

Did you sign off on drawings of the kitchen including the features you wanted when agreeing the price ang giving him the go ahead?

The sink is fine. It's an oversink draining unit that doesn't fit. The unit fits into a gap in the press above sink. Like this
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20204614/

I supplied measurements but he also came out to ensure everything was ok. The problem is he never bothered to check the ikea unit dimensions even though he assured me they would fit.

I didn't sign anything but stressed these two features were essential. Everything is recorded in e-mail correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    The sink is fine. It's an oversink draining unit that doesn't fit. The unit fits into a gap in the press above sink. Like this
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20204614/

I supplied measurements but he also came out to ensure everything was ok. The problem is he never bothered to check the ikea unit dimensions even though he assured me they would fit.

I didn't sign anything but stressed these two features were essential. Everything is recorded in e-mail correspondence.

Why didn't you get him to supply them? If he had them during production, the kitchen could have been fabricated in his work shop prior to fit.

davo10 wrote: »
    Why didn't you get him to supply them? If he had them during production, the kitchen could have been fabricated in his work shop prior to fit.

He assured me all I had to do was buy them and he would fit them for me when kitchen was being installed. He didn't ask me to supply them during production. If he did I would have.

I have no experience of kitchens so only did as he directed me to do.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

He assured me all I had to do was buy them and he would fit them for me when kitchen was being installed. He didn't ask me to supply them during production. If he did I would have.

I have no experience of kitchens so only did as he directed me to do.

Ideally then he should be adjusting his work (the units) to allow the ikea products to fit. I imagine this is the most expensive option for him which is why he is trying to find alternatives. With only a 200 euro lien on him its hard to know what you can do, apart from small claims?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Ideally then he should be adjusting his work (the units) to allow the ikea products to fit. I imagine this is the most expensive option for him which is why he is trying to find alternatives. With only a 200 euro lien on him its hard to know what you can do, apart from small claims?

Thanks. So I am not being unreasonable in holding pack the 200e until this issue is resolved? This represents 10% of total. I currently have to return to Italy the useless product he told me to get. At my expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks. So I am not being unreasonable in holding pack the 200e until this issue is resolved? This represents 10% of total. I currently have to return to Italy the useless product he told me to get. At my expense.

No. The only pity is that you don't have a bigger hold on him.

Could you flog that item you have to return on Adverts?

No. The only pity is that you don't have a bigger hold on him.

Could you flog that item you have to return on Adverts?

Ya. I've it up on a site but not much interest.

I've found what looks to be a decent product on a UK site which I hope to buy.

He's been so unreliable I'm almost thinking of not bothering to get him to come back to fit the unit once I get it.

The kitchen does look decent in fairness but he is just very unprofessional and showed no real interest in my requests.

Advertisement