Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movie Soundtracks (and why)

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Star Wars - John Williams.

As a youngster in the 1970's, music comprised mainly of Disco and Glam Rock, such as Bee Gees, Boney M, Queen etc.

Then after seeing Mark Hamill on the 1977 Late Late Toy show, I convinced my family to see 'the space film' rather than 'The Slipper and the Rose', which was the other Christmas movie. (Yes, Star Wars got a Christmas release in Ireland that year).

Anyway, off to the Savoy on O'Connell St we went, lights dimmed, on came the 20th Century Fox logo, then 'A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away'........... WOW !!!!

The music was 'talking'. It was conveying the excitement of the action scenes, the emotions of the characters, contemplating the environments., in a way I had never heard before. I had discovered symphonic music.

The movie was fantastic of course, but it was the music that stayed with me and I hummed the tunes all the way home (and ever since!!).

Disco and Glam Rock was now cheap and tacky, this glorious 'symphony' music had superseded the cheap synthesisers and high pitched voices. John Williams famous soundtrack had literally changed my view of the world and what music could be.

Then Williams scored 'Superman the Movie' the following summer which sealed the deal and the rest as they say is history. I went on to develop a love of symphonic music, including the works of John Barry, Miklos Roza, Bernard Herrman etc, as well as classical music.

But I can trace my love of symphonic music right back to that night in 1977 as a young 9 year old in the Savoy, stunned listening to John Williams' score for the first time.

We eventually did go to The Slipper and the Rose, but I also made us go back to the Savoy that Christmas in 1977, so I could listen again to this 'symphony' music.

Comments

Advertisement