Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Break/CID Query

Options
  • 17-02-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Someone may be able to help me out.

I am currently in my second year covering a career break on 22 hours.

Today, I met a past principal of mine who I would be on very good terms with, and he was convinced that the recent recommendations that were put forward a few months ago were now a reality; namely, that the teacher who took the career break does not automatically go back into their job (instead onto a panel) and the teacher in position, retains the hours.

To be the best of my knowledge, this isn't the case.

Now I said that I thought these were just recommendations and hadn't been implemented, but he was adamant that they had. Now, obviously I didn't want to keep saying he was wrong to his face...but he is wrong, isn't he? Those career break changes haven't come into effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Someone may be able to help me out.

I am currently in my second year covering a career break on 22 hours.

Today, I met a past principal of mine who I would be on very good terms with, and he was convinced that the recent recommendations that were put forward a few months ago were now a reality; namely, that the teacher who took the career break does not automatically go back into their job (instead onto a panel) and the teacher in position, retains the hours.

To be the best of my knowledge, this isn't the case.

Now I said that I thought these were just recommendations and hadn't been implemented, but he was adamant that they had. Now, obviously I didn't want to keep saying he was wrong to his face...but he is wrong, isn't he? Those career break changes haven't come into effect?

The proposal for the coming year is that you will be offered CID for 22 hours providing the job is viable in September (in this case it will be because they must retain hrs for the teacher on career break). However, if the person comes back the year after you get CID then you will be redeployed. There is a recommendation that a system like the one your past principal spoke about be implemented to provide more security for teachers like yourself but that will not be introduced in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks Pete for the reply.

So essentially, I will be redeployed within the ETB come September if the teacher on Career Break decides to return? Will I be redeployed on the same amount of hours, i.e. 22?

The talk in the staff room is that this particular teacher is coming back in September - of course, I'm aware that he has to inform the ETB of his decision by 1st March at the latest.

chases0102 wrote: »
    Thanks Pete for the reply.

So essentially, I will be redeployed within the ETB come September if the teacher on Career Break decides to return? Will I be redeployed on the same amount of hours, i.e. 22?

The talk in the staff room is that this particular teacher is coming back in September - of course, I'm aware that he has to inform the ETB of his decision by 1st March at the latest.

Unfortunately, if the teacher you're covering for comes back in September then no -they will walk back into their 22 hours. Only if you retain those hours in September will you be offered CID on those hours.
    If other hours (your own hours or stemming from a different career break or secondment) are given to you in that school then a case could be made for CID as far as I know.
    If you're a member of a union I'd make contact with them. The ASTI held information meetings on the proposed new arrangements in the autumn and I found it very helpful as I'm in a similar position.

Thanks Pete, that's good to know.

Best of luck with it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

petejmk wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if the teacher you're covering for comes back in September then no -they will walk back into their 22 hours. Only if you retain those hours in September will you be offered CID on those hours.
    If other hours (your own hours or stemming from a different career break or secondment) are given to you in that school then a case could be made for CID as far as I know.
    If you're a member of a union I'd make contact with them. The ASTI held information meetings on the proposed new arrangements in the autumn and I found it very helpful as I'm in a similar position.

I bolded this part above as it can be particularly important. It may be no harm double checking the 22 hours you have been doing are all belonging to the teacher on career break. If any come from somewhere else then a case can be made for CID.

If they are all the absent teacher's then check if you are doing any subject/resource hours that the absent teacher wouldn't be assigned. If that's the case then it could be argued that they are hours from elsewhere. For instance if the absent teacher teaches only Irish and you have a class or two of resource or Maths etc that the absent teacher would never have.

Again contact the union - they can be really helpful on what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Hate to hijack the thread but it keeps it all in one place - does someone covering HSCL leave have any CID entitlements under the new system that came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Wouldn't know this one - best thing is to check with your union.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Hate to hijack the thread but it keeps it all in one place - does someone covering HSCL leave have any CID entitlements under the new system that came in?

I believe so. The recommendations mention career break specifically but also mentions secondment. The HSCL is seconded to that position. I only know this as I am in this situation and my contract states that my job exists because of the secondment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

I found the union next to useless with regard to clarification of this issue.

• Advertisement

Was wondering if anyone could advise or offer an opinion on the following...

As I'm currently in my second year covering a Career Break, I found out today that the teacher that I'm covering for is staying away on the break for a third year.

I bring this up because yesterday I was offered a good package at an international school for the next academic year (lots has happened in last two days!)

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on my options? Essentially, if any circular is forthcoming in the short term that would award me some degree of security from the Career Break that I am currently on (it's 22 hours), would I be foolish to take the international job, potentially and likely returning the following year, and starting again from zero?

Also, is my employability damaged if I take a job in a far off country, with a different curriculum? Has anyone who has taught in an International School found this?

Does any break harm my increments, and how does it affect my pension contributions?

I'm 29 years old. I have a partner who is obsessed with going on an adventure before settling down. It appeals to me too, but not to the extent that I would be harming long term security.

Any advice or opinion would be most welcome. Thanks folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

The granting of a CID is also dependent on nobody being redeployed into the vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is due to be granted a CID this year for 15 hours. Hes in the school for three years. Could somebody be redeployed into the job instead of him getting a CID?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

Technically Yes, but unlikely to happen. Redeployment has avoided these type of vacancies in the past and I believe that this will be the policy relating to those who with three years this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone know how common it is for someone to be redeployed into a vacancy which is covering for someone on career break?

where is this circular ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

Got return call from ASTI yesterday. They could not tell me when the circular will be released but it is effective from now so those in their 2nd year (hours in their name) if there are hours available next year you should receive CID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

duffyp wrote: »
    Got return call from ASTI yesterday. They could not tell me when the circular will be released but it is effective from now so those in their 2nd year (hours in their name) if there are hours available next year you should receive CID.

Did they say it only applies to those with their own hours? So it won't apply to those covering career breaks as originally stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

That's the impression I got, ring them and discuss it to make sure though, I was focusing on my own situation

What is procedure for getting a CID under new circular -?

• Advertisement
Advertisement