Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership Contract

Options
  • 17-02-2015 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I'm sure this type of issue comes up a lot, so just looking for some advice.

I joined a gym last summer but due to relocation I have decided to cancel the membership and join one in my new location. When I spoke to a member of staff about this I was advised that it is a 12 month contract and there is nothing they can do, the membership can't be cancelled, not even for a penalty. The staff member then implied however, that I may decide to cease my direct debit payments as I have control of my account. I indicated that this is what I would do. So I instructed my bank to stop the direct debits.

I received a letter this week from the gym advising me that they have received notice from my bank that the direct debit has been cancelled. They state that the payments remaining on the contract are still due.

I'm just wondering from experience, do gyms typically pursue issues like this? I would not have cancelled the direct debit if I knew they would still pursue the payments due on the contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

VERY VERY unlikely, particularly if it evident that you are not using the facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cancelled my direct debit (without even telling my gym)
    got a few phone messages and a phone call
    just told them to f off over the phone and as they kept saying I ow them 3 month bills (even though I never went in)
    they try and threaten you most won't but some will depends who you're with
    eventually after me saying to them to f off they stopped ringing and texting
    have not heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You still owe them payment for the remainder of the contract. That is for certain. It's up to you to assess the risk of not paying.

Advertisement