Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal solar panels or the thermodynamic ones, which is best

Options
  • 17-02-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Normal solar panels or the thermodynamic ones, which is best??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

and on top, thermodynamic costs 3200-3500 average excluding a cylinder. what costs for solar for 2 adults 3 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ayzeb123

Hi Noel, I got a thermodynamic Panel installed in May 2015 and i am very pleased with it. We are two adults and two kids and we have constant hot water. I've had the heating off since i got this installed so that has saved me €900 on a load of wood pellets. (heating is still off, hopefully till end of September). This will also take the pressure off the boiler so the rads will be hotter in the winter and use less pellets. I done a lot of research before i got this installed and couldn't find any solid customer information about the running costs, that's why i'm posting this.. The plumber said between 120.00 and 150.00 per year running cost. I've been monitoring my electricity usage and can not see a dramatic increase. My bi monthly bill is generally between 170 and 200, but never any more and sometimes less. I will continue to monitor and when i have unit usage for a year i will compare it to the usage in 2014. (Handy tip) I called my electricy supplier when i got this installed and got a 15% discount for the year on electricity cause i said i was changing supplier so that probabaly covers the running cost. All in all we are very happy with this. We paid 3800 for the system with a 300 litre tank, this included installation. Hope this review helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Noel Howley

Hi,

Thanks very much for the useful reply. Can I ask you what type of wood chip boiler you have and who services it for you? I have a Mescoli and can't get anyone to look at it, I am in Donegal.
    Also who fitted your solar panels and did you get a grant for them?

Cheers again,

Noel

Hi Noel,

We have a kedco 20 kw wood pellet boiler. They have gone out of business now in Ireland but we continue to get it serviced by one of their guys. His name is Jack Maloney and i believe he is from limerick. I think he services the whole country but tries to get a few in the same area, we are in Carrick on Shannon Leitrim/Roscommon border. I'm sure he services other boilers too as they all work on the same principal. His number is 086 3557876.

We got the themodynamic panel from Rowley renewables/ Rowley heating. He has a website if you google it. We didn't get a grant as it is not a solar panel but a heat exchanger so it didn't qualify for the grant. But still well worth the money as we have constant hot water and there is not a big change in the electricity bill.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks very much again for getting back to me, your comments are very helpful!
    I'm sure your like myself in that you wouldn't get another wood chip boiler? I don't think there are any great savings in the type of one I have anyhow? The wood pellets aren't getting any cheaper like the oil!
    Just for a matter of interest, where do you get your pellets?

I am thinking strongly about the thermo panels, would love to get them done ASAP but have the street half tarred!

Thanks again,

Noel

• Advertisement

Hi Noel,

We get the pellets from Balcas in Enniskillen. We found the quality of their pellets the best for our boiler. They have gotten quite expensive but they still work out cheaper than oil. €900.00 last September for a 3 tonne load, they seem to put them up by €50 per year and use the price of oil as the reason (transport, production ect..) although when oil prices came down they did'nt lower the. Still happy with the boiler but my hubby fills/ cleans it so i just have to enjoy the comfort of a warm house.

Hi,

Thanks again for your replies. I got a few loads from Balcas myself and recently I have gotten my pellets of Pelletman in Kells, Meath? There was no real different in price or quality, I just preferred to give business to a southern company, I think they were better delivery times when needed in a hurry.

Regards,

Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bogulom

Bump up. I found this for all thermodynamic panels enthusiasts:

narecde.co.uk/thermodynamic-panel-data

Hope it will help. Do not waste your money.

Advertisement