Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting job in July, what to do until then?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I landed a pretty nice graduate job but it doesn't start until July because they have a training period where external teachers come in and so it's in their interest have everybody start together..

I've already been sitting on my arse for a few months. I have projects and things to keep me busy, but I'd like to do an internship for 5 months or something in that vain. Where should I look? or maybe I should just get a temp job in the local shop and volunteer @ Coder Dojo in the mean time?

All advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

In all honesty I would look for another job. Whilst the position in July is not guaranteed, its a nice position to be in when job hunting. Use it to your advantage and get something better. This would be a better use of your time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

I was in the same boat. Did a side job for a month to get some money, and then went travelling. Took the opportunity while I could. Going to be hard to get long periods of time off once you enter the workforce.

So ye, if you can, travel and worry about work in July. Rest of your life for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

See if you can get a contracting gig for a few months, in tech support or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laowai

In all honesty I would look for another job. Whilst the position in July is not guaranteed, its a nice position to be in when job hunting. Use it to your advantage and get something better. This would be a better use of your time IMO.

I've actually got the contract already and I've told them I accept the offer. I think it'd be a dick move to give them the finger after they've probably rejected other candidates. I just need something to do in the mean time, that is career oriented (ideally).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I personally would do some travelling. Its an ideal opportunity. If you want to do something career-oriented and can afford it, maybe look at some volunteering programs or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

go travelling while you have the chance, you have the rest of your life to worry about work....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Travel (or do something else you want) if you are not strapped for cash, temp job unless you find something better if you are, teach/volunteer or if you are keen to take the job in july you could always brush up what was in the job spec or ask them what to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Do stuff you otherwise wouldn't have time to do. You may never get another block of 5 months to mess around in so don't waste it watching TV and hanging around. Travel, even if only around Ireland. If you have a hobby, indulge it in the extreme. You should make sure that you're totally burned out by the time July comes around :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

laowai wrote: »
    I landed a pretty nice graduate job but it doesn't start until July because they have a training period where external teachers come in and so it's in their interest have everybody start together..

I've already been sitting on my arse for a few months. I have projects and things to keep me busy, but I'd like to do an internship for 5 months or something in that vain. Where should I look? or maybe I should just get a temp job in the local shop and volunteer @ Coder Dojo in the mean time?

All advice welcome

You're a graduate and you need 'advice' on what to do for the next 4 months?
    What did you graduate in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yeah, have to agree with the above. A long bout of travelling will reward you ten times more than anything strictly career related you could be up to in the same time IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement