Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can my landlord do this?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I moved into a house with a friend of mine last march 28th and last month as we have a spare bedroom another friend of mine asked could he move in. the landlord said this was fine but the rent will have to go up. Now he has only increased it by 90 a month which is fine, we can mange that increase between the 3 of us but he wants the increase to start at the end of February although the contract im on right now doesn't end until the end of march this.
    is this legal or should it not go up untill after march 28th of this year.
    I know its only a month in the difference but its kinda bugging me, I feel like I'm being cheated or something and just want to clarify it on here.
    the fact that someone else is moving into the premises probably makes it ok to increase the rent before the year is over but just thought id ask on here in case something is amiss.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Technically, you're both operating outside of the lease. You've asked if someone can move in. The landlord has agreed subject to an increase in rent. You can accept and move your friend in or reject the offer and keep the status quo.

Yes under normal circumstances the landlord can only increase the rent once a year, but this isn't a normal circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 carrigy

i thought it was fairly normal to just add someone name to the lease.

he is bringing in a new lease to be signed by all three of us this week. when that happens the lease were on currently becomes void I assume, will that affect the deposit we paid last year or is that fine. basically what im asking is if we let my friend move in and sign the new lease are we forfeiting our deposit by signing a new lease before the old one actually expires.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Adding someone to the lease is a substantial change and would require a new lease to be signed. Your deposit should be unaffected and should be recorded in the new lease as well.

You should have the same rights from your tenure from March of last year (i.e. notice periods, Part 4, etc.) but perhaps someone else may confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Next time you sign a lease do it for the house not the no of people in the house then you can let people move in and out without this nonsense.

Next time you sign a lease do it for the house not the no of people in the house then you can let people move in and out without this nonsense.

Not really, that would be subletting and against most leases. You're also obliged to notify the landlord of who is living there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 carrigy

alright, thanks for your help.
    everything seems to be proper then.

Advertisement