Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Pet Shops

Options
  • 17-02-2015 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

The ones I know of in Ballincollig, Coal Quay (Cornmarket St.?) and beside Smyths are closed.

Sprog No. 1 wants a yellow fish. Hanleys, Kinsale Rd., have fish. Already have a tank, heater filter etc.
    Sprog No. 2 wants a rabbit/guinea pig. Any ideas where to go look?

Dont want to go to "suppliers" like those mentioned in the previous Cork Pet Shops thread!
    Any place with nice, well cared for animals.

Also, should i have a pair of rabbits? Do they need company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Howdy,

We go to The Potty Fish Store in Bandon, if that's not too far out for you. It's quite small but we get all our fish and cat stuff there. The owner is a little eccentric but seems very well-intentioned; she has plenty of fish and you could ring in advance about availability of the other animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Peanut wrote: »
    Howdy,

We go to The Potty Fish Store in Bandon, if that's not too far out for you. It's quite small but we get all our fish and cat stuff there. The owner is a little eccentric but seems very well-intentioned; she has plenty of fish and you could ring in advance about availability of the other animals.

cheers, might take a spin out.
    think i know where it is, as you leave the town centre heading west near the church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

cheers, might take a spin out.
    think i know where it is, as you leave the town centre heading west near the church?

That closed years ago. Easiest way to get to it is left at the first roundabout coming into Bandon from Inishannon and take the by-pass. It's located in one of the small industrial estates up on the top of the by-pass.

Maybe give her a ring in advance, it might save you a spin out.

http://www.westcorkpetstore.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

The ones I know of in Ballincollig, Coal Quay (Cornmarket St.?) and beside Smyths are closed.

I'm sure the one by smyths is open, called Petstop and they had rabbits and fish last time I was there, no longer then a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

That's the one Petstop..I thought this was an English chain but it actually isn't.. They have rabbits and fish and all that goes.. Not the worst. Sometimes you go up and the staff look a little bewildered but their ok....

The potty fish is great too worth a trip down there small but neat..

I would think two rabbits would be better than one, but make sure if you want them to mate you are prepared for it...

• Advertisement

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm sure the one by smyths is open, called Petstop and they had rabbits and fish last time I was there, no longer then a week ago.

Feck
    Thought it was a phone shop now, must take a closer look at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Pet Essentials in Carrigaline
    MaxiZoo Douglas Shopping Centre (big German chain, dont supply live pets I think)
    PetStop Kinsale Rd Roundabout
    Hanleys Kinsale Rd Roundabout (fish only I think?)

So many have closed over the years.... There was a great one on the Spa Rd in Mallow. Plus Pisces next to Smyths in town. Are the shops on North Main Street and Sullys on Coal Quay gone?

Sullys hopefully is gone, wait yes tis cus we were down there.. Shame on them is all ill say.. Think North main street is gone too. There all out of town really.

it is defo a pet shop y smyths we go in there all the time, they are open late some evenings too which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

MaxiZoo Midleton, Hanleys Kinsale road roundabout, the only ones id recommend, ive not been to the Potty Fish Store in Bandon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Feck
    Thought it was a phone shop now, must take a closer look at the weekend
    Are you thinking of the one in town? I remember there was a fish only type shop next to Smyths there.

I think the one everyone is talking about is the one near the Kinsale Road roundabout, afaik there's also a Smyths there. Was there yesterday myself for a few bits for the mutt, really helpful and they seem to have a really great setup as in terms of treating the little furries well. Lots of different fish but it was 17:30 when I was in there and they seemed to be moving the bunnies etc to somewhere else for the night and cleaning out all their cages. They had a lovely bearded dragon too and they write little bits about what their reptiles like and don't like suggesting they know and treat them quite well- very important imo

• Advertisement

Are you thinking of the one in town? I remember there was a fish only type shop next to Smyths there.

I think the one everyone is talking about is the one near the Kinsale Road roundabout, afaik there's also a Smyths there. Was there yesterday myself for a few bits for the mutt, really helpful and they seem to have a really great setup as in terms of treating the little furries well. Lots of different fish but it was 17:30 when I was in there and they seemed to be moving the bunnies etc to somewhere else for the night and cleaning out all their cages. They had a lovely bearded dragon too and they write little bits about what their reptiles like and don't like suggesting they know and treat them quite well- very important imo

aye, crossed wires!
    So there's a pet shop beside/near Smyths Kinsale rd?
    I thought it was a supplies place like MaxiZoo, so didnt bother with it. Drive past the place often enough. like the sound of this place, must visit on Saturday. Cheers denhaagenite

I just said that like ages ago.. The one you thought was a phone shop is a pet shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

kaerobe wrote: »
    Pet Essentials in Carrigaline
    MaxiZoo Douglas Shopping Centre (big German chain, dont supply live pets I think)
    PetStop Kinsale Rd Roundabout
    Hanleys Kinsale Rd Roundabout (fish only I think?)

So many have closed over the years.... There was a great one on the Spa Rd in Mallow. Plus Pisces next to Smyths in town. Are the shops on North Main Street and Sullys on Coal Quay gone?

Is that pet shop in Mallow definitely gone? The one that had fishing and hunting gear down the back? I thought it was still open.

We go to Maxi Zoo in Douglas and Ballincollig. Maxi Zoo do a lot for animal charities too so I like to support them.

Milly33 wrote: »
    I just said that like ages ago.. The one you thought was a phone shop is a pet shop..

nOBBnNT.png

Milly, the one with the shutter down beside the red cafe?
    its a manky green colour now, I'd swear its a fone shop.

nOBBnNT.png

Milly, the one with the shutter down beside the red cafe?
    its a manky green colour now, I'd swear its a fone shop.

Emmm...that's not the kinsale rd roundabout if that's what you're thinking, that's in the city by Parnell place, used to be a pet shop there alright but they're gone a good while now.

Emmm...that's not the kinsale rd roundabout if that's what you're thinking, that's in the city by Parnell place, used to be a pet shop there alright but they're gone a good while now.

Is this not the one milly is on about?
    I said it was closed, milly says otherwise

Is this not the one milly is on about?
    I said it was closed, milly says otherwise

No Milly and myself were on about the one by Smyths by the kinsale rd round about, although there is a smyths by where that one used to be so I can see the confusion this is the place we were talking about though, tbh the place that is closed was best to be avoided when it was there.

Just re-reading the thread and can totally see where the confusion was, completely forgot about the smyths in town!

No Milly and myself were on about the one by Smyths by the kinsale rd round about, although there is a smyths by where that one used to be so I can see the confusion this is the place we were talking about though, tbh the place that is closed was best to be avoided when it was there.

Just re-reading the thread and can totally see where the confusion was, completely forgot about the smyths in town!

Lolz
    So we're all agreed the pet shop by Smyths in town is closed!
    There is one open by Smyths off Kinsale Road.

Advertisement