Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK competition self-build house designs < £50k

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All interesting designs. Thanks for posting those links. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

anyone any thoughts on likelihood of planning approval for something like this in ireland?

Would it be possible maybe to convert an existing agricultural shed to the fleshed out Barnhaus design? ....would the foundations be insufficient maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Here's the winner..... http://www.nacsba.org.uk/images/shoestring/18_shoestring13_ed-green.pdf
    for which there's now a small prototype development of four houses planned in Wales...... http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/grand-designs-style-house-costs-just-7945802

here's the cheapest competition entry coming in at £24k.... http://www.nacsba.org.uk/images/shoestring/38_shoestring13_ian-k-whittaker.pdf

and here are the other shortlisted ones.... http://www.nacsba.org.uk/selfbuildonashoestring/12-shoestring/39-shoestring2013top16

Helpfully, full cost breakdowns are included in the links.

All designed as self-build. Any thoughts on them in general or for here in ireland maybe? - and particularly the winning design "Barnhaus"?

£67,000 when the "exclusions" in the small print are included. Presumably the site would need to be large to enable the projected solar gain from the south-facing elevation? There would also be the cost of the site and professional fees.

Chisler2 wrote: »
    £67,000 when the "exclusions" in the small print are included. Presumably the site would need to be large to enable the projected solar gain from the south-facing elevation? There would also be the cost of the site and professional fees.

"Exclusions" being optional extras and upgrades though, ....which to be fair are listed on the same page and immediately under the full itemised costings and total cost figures as well as being in same size print. They're certainly not tucked away deceptively like small print.
    Yes, you'd need a site to build on and then there's still whataver professional fees would be applicable. - all designs shown are intended to be self-build so as to minimise these costs.

I like the winning Barnhaus entry and will be interesting to see how the finished houses look in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Would it be possible maybe to convert an existing agricultural shed to the fleshed out Barnhaus design? ....would the foundations be insufficient maybe?

...there's nothing in a shed to convert. By which I mean, most barn type sheds have no walls. Generally they were/are steel portal frames, with a single skin roof and no floor anyway.
    See here:

Myhome%20hayshed_l.jpg

Now, I have posted (some years ago at this stage I'd say) a pic of one such 'style' we've worked on, in Galway, before. But not for £50k, or anything remotely like it.

At the other end of the spectrum, we exported two modular buildings to the UK lately - each 13.5m x 4m, single storey. Standing in them, in the yard, a colleague and I both had the same thoughts: there's a lot to be said for a simple house. To the extent I'd seriously consider one for myself........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...there's nothing in a shed to convert. By which I mean, most barn type sheds have no walls. Generally they were/are steel portal frames, with a single skin roof and no floor anyway.

yeah guess I just meant would an existing agricultural steel portal frame in good condition be fine to start building something like a Barnhaus within, or could there be any reasons -such as foundations or drainage maybe- that a residential barn-build would need to be done from scratch?

yeah guess I just meant would an existing agricultural steel portal frame in good condition be fine to start building something like a Barnhaus within, or could there be any reasons -such as foundations or drainage maybe- that a residential barn-build would need to be done from scratch?

A new frame on a proper house foundation is the only way, really.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Any idea what sort of housing density could be reasonably achieved with something like the barnhaus - I'd Imagine it wouldn't really suit for close to Dublin - but a house type that could be system built ( or at least the structural elements) quickly and cheaply - and sold on reasonably to those with a housing need (possibly to be self build finished) could help take the heat out of the Dublin property market- I know the planning would take time but they have to start some time-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

http://www.century.ie/cent/pdfs/PR_SIXTYK2.pdf

No idea did this ever come to anything ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Dominic Stevens made this one for €25K
    http://www.irishvernacular.com/

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Any idea what sort of housing density could be reasonably achieved with something like the barnhaus - I'd Imagine it wouldn't really suit for close to Dublin - but a house type that could be system built ( or at least the structural elements) quickly and cheaply - and sold on reasonably to those with a housing need (possibly to be self build finished) could help take the heat out of the Dublin property market- I know the planning would take time but they have to start some time-

I'm not sure but one of the links in my original post talks about a small development being built in North Cornelly, Bridgend in Wales, and from a quick search it seems to be a reasonably built up area

Interesting link to that Kingspan one too. thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Effects wrote: »

and an assigned certifer for that would cost 33% of the build costs ;)

Yes I've seen this before and went to a small talk he did down in Cloughjordan eco village a while back. Interesting build using very simple framing method. An extra few grand on top of that 25k now to comply with new regs of course.

Very interested to hear of any more budget builds suitable to ireland/uk like ones mentioned here so far.........

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and an assigned certifer for that would cost 33% of the build costs ;)

Hasn't there been mentions here of getting around an assigned certifier if you don't plan to sell in the future?
    Assigned certifier isn't really 33% though is it?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hasn't there been mentions here of getting around an assigned certifier if you don't plan to sell in the future?
    Assigned certifier isn't really 33% though is it?

god no.... theres no way around it... selling has nothing to do with it.
    Theres also no way of retrospectively complying, so you could quite conceivably be left with a valueless asset.

I was making the point that the AC quotes are in the region of €8000, which would be approx 33% of that €25,000 quoted.

Ahh I see. I've had brief talk with an architect I'm currently working with and he said he handles the AC role but takes a hit on it. Luckily it's nowhere near €8K!

Yes I've seen this before and went to a small talk he did down in Cloughjordan eco village a while back. Interesting build using very simple framing method. An extra few grand on top of that 25k now to comply with new regs of course.

Very interested to hear of any more budget builds suitable to ireland/uk like ones mentioned here so far.........

an extra "few grand" ? Lols.

I had a site inspection by a supervising DC yesterday. Charge for the day = €1k.

Ode To The Motorist

I had a site inspection by a supervising DC yesterday. Charge for the day = €1k.

Yeah suppose I was being bit vague there with my "few grand" guess! I'm not up to speed with the likely additional costs due to new requirements but was going roughly by reading something ages ago that estimated it might add 15%. I realise it varies depending on a bunch of stuff I don't know about.

Christ - that seems steep -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Christ - that seems steep -

I agree.

But less than €100 difference between 3 quotes for it...

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement