Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brett Sutton training plans

Options
  • 16-02-2015 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone ever bought and used one of the plans from Trisutto.com? I'd be interested in feedback for ironman or 70.3 plans. Also, if anyone has signed up to the online coaching options they offer, how much contact with the coach and tailoring of the plan do they do?

I've been reading about his reverse periodisation approach and am assuming the plans follow that philosophy. Theres not a whole lot of info on the site.

Thinking about getting the 16 week ironman plan for a late season ironman.

I did an ironman last year with the standard approach of lots of long slow stuff throughout the training block and am interested in doing it differently this time, taking in some sprint, standard and middle distance races throughout the season. Leaving the bulk of the long stuff to the end.... yeah, the lazy approach :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

don't know about the Sutton plans but there are some very good coaches on this forum who I presume would be happy to help you with a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Pmaldini wrote: »
    don't know about the Sutton plans but there are some very good coaches on this forum who I presume would be happy to help you with a plan

Thanks, yep well aware of the coaches who post regularly here. I had a coach last year for IM. I don't really want to hand over as much control this time as I'll need to be able to move training around much more this year due to work and family commitments. Im interested in seeing what a 16-20 week plan taking in Surtons philosophy would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Thanks, yep well aware of the coaches who post regularly here. I had a coach last year for IM. I don't really want to hand over as much control this time as I'll need to be able to move training around much more this year due to work and family commitments. Im interested in seeing what a 16-20 week plan taking in Surtons philosophy would look like.

Then do you need a book and an understanding more than a coach?

tunney wrote: »
    Then do you need a book and an understanding more than a coach?
    Possibly yes. Recommendations on reverse Periodisation welcome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The Matt Dixon book is worth a read

• Advertisement

Possibly yes. Recommendations on reverse Periodisation welcome :-)

Why the obession with RP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was thinking the same.

OP, why choose this training approach over others?

Why not?!
    I trained normally last year base, build, load etc etc
    I felt I was lacking a bit of power at the backend of the race (Roth), also got a bit jaded towards end of the training block. All of this is normal, I know. Was my first ironman.
    I just fancy doing it differently second time out, maybe get it right for the 3rd go... God forbid

Why not?

If you are thinking about an RP approach for this year its already too late for it, that would be my reckoning.

If you are thinking about an RP approach for this year its already too late for it, that would be my reckoning.

Looking at Mallorca 26th September
    I've been tipping away consistently since December. Looking at a structured IM plan from April.

• Advertisement

Looking at Mallorca 26th September
    I've been tipping away consistently since December. Looking at a structured IM plan from April.

"hi brett I want a reverse periodisation plan for a September 26th race. But I don't want to start it until April"

"Sure give me your money"

"hi brett I want a reverse periodisation plan for a September 26th race. But I don't want to start it until April"

"Sure give me your money"

Thanks Tunney, encouraging as usual 😆

Id do 9/10 hours a week most weeks, so think I'd be at a decent starting point. Also, I'm not out to win the thing, I'll set my goals accordingly.
    I've a 2 week holiday at Easter hence that "start" time.

Reverse periodisation is an approach to a season not a race build up. That was my point.

Reverse periodisation is an approach to a season not a race build up. That was my point.

Yep, I realise that much. Part of the appeal is doing NS races as part of the season, including a 70.3. I'd love if that could be kenmare but it's probably too late. Dublin 70.3 is ideal but I don't fancy it, so Athlone is likeliest.

That effectively means his plans are useless because IIRC they are 16 or 18 weeks plans. If RP is an approach to a season then only getting the last 16/18 weeks isn't much use.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pgibbo wrote: »
    That effectively means his plans are useless because IIRC they are 16 or 18 weeks plans. If RP is an approach to a season then only getting the last 16/18 weeks isn't much use.
    I would also have thought that '16 week RP program' is a bit of an oxymoron.

Oryx wrote: »
    I would also have thought that '16 week RP program' is a bit of an oxymoron.

This is why I was asking has anyone seen one in my original query. 16 weeks is too short to capture all of the blocks I think it would contain. There are 2 IM plans available, one 12 Hour per week one and a 20 hour per week one. No information on the structure or approach.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How much do they cost?

Online training $249 per month
    Premium Online training $399 per month
    Platinum Online training $900 per month

Both totally generic, 100% not customised, same for everyone, Ironman training programes are $249

$249 for IM plans. $199 for 70.3. They're 16 week plans

• Advertisement

I think based on this article OP, you would have to buy multiple plans and some stimulus ones to follow a similar approach to this

As for what they're like I have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

few thoughts
    op i think you have some thinking to do and from what you write it seems that you would be better of with a coach than a plan.
    as you do not seem to understand the basics.

overall from the sutton plan is good ( far better than most of the uselesss stuff i have seen ) and no denying he is one of the top 5 tri coaches ever and a genius ( at the level of mozart with shortcommings that being a genuis in one thing, usualy brings with it )
    he is not a moneymaker in fact he would surely not be in the top 500 richest triathlon coaches.

most of his coaches would have been coached by him for quite a long time so would likely speak his language. Are they good coaches i have no idea.

here is one thing for you, lazy mans approach and sutton does not go togheter.
    maybe a total immersion plan would be better suited....

i think tunney is helping you more than you think and rather than getting offended you would be better of to think aoubt some points he made early on

still not to late to start RP for a race in september and on could also do a double reversed year with 2 goal races etc etc the possibilities are infinite. many ways lead to rome. and not every way is the best for everybody. and IMHO for a beginner or intermediate IM reveresd peridisation not the best way.

i think your biggest problem is you want to do an ironman without really having the time for it and would be better focusing on oly tri anyway so you could do a 2 year reversed perodisation plan one year to get fast one year to go long ;-) in the same way that pretty much ever person i know that goes for an ironman gets faster over an oly distance as its usually the first time they train a bit more serious .... likewise fast oly guys also do better ironmans than guys that do 5 years ironman half arsed... if you knowwhat i mean
    my 2 cents

Advertisement